Posts by kendra_83

Make sure that your cake sits out overnight if possible so that it can settle before you freeze it.  If you have a perishable filling, place a sheet pan or cake pan on top of the cake with something heavy on it (make sure it's centered and use a level) for about 30 minutes to an hour before sticking it in the freezer.  I usually use a small cast iron skillet or a 28 oz can of tomatoes, etc.  If you get rid of the air before it gets frozen, you won't have the bulging....
Thanks, everyone!
Thanks!  I've been creeping her Facebook page and she explained that she used a petal tip for a cake similar to this one but I couldn't figure out the squiggle.  Since the photo on Cake Central was posted back in 2012 I figured it would be a long shot to get a reply.  Guess I'll just experiment and see what happens. :) 
Does anyone know which tip was used to get this effect?  Is it a petal tip with a separate round tip to make the squiggles next to the ruffle or is there one tip that can do this?  Any help would be appreciated!   http://cakecentral.com/g/i/2390053/organic-strawberry-swiss-meringue-buttercream-in-a-vertical-ruffle-design/
If you use SPS to stack the tiers or secure a dowel to your board and thread the tiers down onto it, there's no reason a three-tier cake would need to be assembled at the venue.  I've found that if you get it as close to presentation-quality as possible before delivery, it eases anxiety tremendously.  If it's buttercream, make sure it's really cold.  Glue your tiers together with melted chocolate or ganache so that it gets really solid.
I agree with the WASC and MMF for ease and budget friendliness.  Also, check out a recipe for Crusting or American Buttercream.     Go get some cardboard rounds (or squares) in the same diameter as the cake tiers.  Your cakes will all sit on the cardboard and you will use supports in between the tiers.  Spread some buttercream or melted chocolate on the cardboards before sitting the cakes on them to glue them down.  I use bubble tea straws for supports which are...
There was no fruit inside the cakes but I think I've figured out a solution with some help from Kara.  I put a really good ganache dam between the layers, pushed down really hard on the cake to eliminate most of the air, filled in all the gaps and low spots with ganache, filled in the space between the cake and the edge of the board with ganache and let it settle on the counter overnight before chilling and finishing up the ganache coat.  No bubbles so far!
Wow!  Thanks so much costumeczar for your suggestions.  Your articles are great - very descriptive & detailed.  I'll definitely try your suggestions.
Thanks.  Although, I've had air bubbles under my fondant (which I can deal with), these are coming from under the ganache and don't surface until hours, sometimes days after the fondant is on.
Lately, I've been experiencing blow outs on my fondant-covered cakes.  Here's my process:  I fill my cakes and let them sit on the counter overnight to settle.  I refrigerate them until they're solid and then I ganache them.  I let them sit in the fridge for an hour or so to set up my ganache and then try to let them come to room temperature before covering in fondant.  Last night, I came home to a decorated and finished (I thought!) cake that had been sitting on my...