Posts by inspiredbymom

milkmaid42, I was going to suggest fondant source! I didn't realize that they had a luster dust website all on it own. Awesome! I do order from CK, but if I need something quick and don't have the min. order required, I ck out fondant source and global sugar arts. This will add to my arsenal of go to places! Thanks!
I order from there and had an item that was b/o. They told me that they only autosend b/o's if they are a certain amount. I really can't remember what it was. From then on, I never mark the box for shipping b/o because it was such a hassle for me. Other than that, I love the company and the products. I usually don't have too much trouble with o/s items and I always leave a message to them on the "special instruction" area for them to call me if it is a special order...
I did one for our church (they call people to donate items for a funeral dinner). I made a square cake with just white butter cream and a piped border. I did put the diamond impression mat on the side just so it would break it up a bit and put fondant praying hands on top. It was real simple, but I felt like I helped the family feel a little better.
If I read it correctly, you would construct the cake as you would a centered doweled tiered cake. Instead of putting a top layer on, you would use the center dowel as the "holder" of the plaque. You would attach it using melted chocolate. You would also need to put doweling for support of the plaque because it is heavy. Do you have that center support system that they talk about? Personally, if I were making it, I wouldn't use a single center dowel. I would put...
Would your customer take components from the larger cake to make a small cake? I have had people send me pictures of tiered cakes that serve 70+ and only need 15 servings. We just talk to them to get what they really like about the cake and incorporate it a smaller version. Maybe 2 or 3 tiers in a smaller size? That cake here (small town, walmart prices) I would only be able to get 500. A couple of towns over, they would charge 800+. That is a ton of cake for 70...
How big are the stacked cakes? BRP has a box that can handle a small stacked cake. I recently ordered a sample of it. I think it is a 12x12x10. Most of my cakes recently have been on 14" so I have been using two boxes, one for top and one for bottom. I have also read about using ridged corrugated shipping boxes that had one side cut. Other than that, I have not seen anything. There was a lady who had a box shop that had awesome tiered boxes but she went out of...
Fedra, during the school year when I am working full time (50 hours) I only take 2-3 orders, depending on the detail, (1 if it is a wedding). During the summer, when I am only working part time, I double it. I don't give explanations, I just say if I have an opening or not. I've even had to turn down family members if I don't have an opening. I can only do so much. (yes, learning to say no in so hard) I have a husband who helps me, so that helps a ton, but we also...
Fedra, during the school year when I am working full time (50 hours) I only take 2-3 orders, depending on the detail, (1 if it is a wedding). During the summer, when I am only working part time, I double it. I don't give explanations, I just say if I have an opening or not. I've even had to turn down family members if I don't have an opening. I can only do so much. (yes, learning to say no in so hard) I have a husband who helps me, so that helps a ton, but we also...
Thank your for the help! She loved them! I started with yellow and leaf but it was too bright. I didn't want to add black to it for fear it would be too much so I added a small amount of juniper. Let it set over night and it was perfect! I can always count on you guys!
I tend to agree. I over think this type of stuff all of the time because what looks right to me may not be what they (customers) had in mind. Thanks for your help!