Posts by inspiredbymom

I just heard on my favorite radio station that Gov. Brown just passed a bill that will allow home bakers to make not potentially hazardous food in their home. Congrats to all home bakers in California who have been waiting for this.
Don't you just love those? Creative freedom can be good and bad. You want to make her happy but it is also a chance to try new things too! I always ask if they have a theme or special invitations. I always look at those as a chance to try a new technique or design while I'm getting paid for it! I wouldn't worry too much. (even though we always do!) If she doesn't like it, ask why and go from there. Good luck on your adventure!
sfrog68, I have been a business owner (childcare) for almost 17 years. It is a risk taking that jump. I don't make much "profit" anymore (I had to cut my workload in half on that business when I had more kids) but I can not put a price on being able to stay home with my kids! I also work a farmer's market in the summer and do custom cakes on nights and weekends. I have never been in the red. I have never borrowed money for my businesses. If you have the start up...
Just a thought, but if you do something with non edible gems on it, you may want to limit your liability by either having your people serve at the wedding (as a paid option) or have them sign a waiver stating that they need to be removed by their people and that you will not be held responsible for their design choice. Even if you do change out the non edible for edible, it may be best to still include that clause in your contract. I make sure that it is in writing (on...
Kellyem: Good point. I rely heavily on books (I liked the Cake Bible too!) to learn a lot of things. I am also big on learning by DVD and of course Cake Central patrons. I do not have the ability to get to a class, nor do I have a center nearby. (We just have plenty of cows here......) Since Pillsbury left me high and dry, I have too been experimenting with different things. Kind of hard to do with no grocery stores either. Very limited! I recently learned about...
3d sounds great! I agree, you can set it down with butter cream (or royal) or make a topper with a bottom to it. If you do the cookie cutter, make it thicker and run tooth picks (or we use bamboo skewers for a longer length) through it so it will stand up. I too prefer to cut our fondant letters because by the end of the day, I may not be writing so well! You can also use wires, but just remember that it not all wires are food safe and you would have to take...
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-49039-0.htmlhttp://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=748325&highlight=organise+organizeI can't get this to post as a link, but these are two that talked about organizing. The first one shows the pictures of her "room" and the other was another forum post that included a link to her post as well. HTH!
I am not good at the organizing thing because of limited space. I use plastic locking plastic boxes for things like tools and dust/brushes, cutters, couplers, colorings. That is in one area. Then I have cake boxes and boards downstairs. Cake supplies for our retail upstairs. Large items in the pantry. I would love to have it all together! One lady I know that has done this for decades, showed me her closet that had shelves from top to bottom, all sides. Then she...
I have learned the hard way. I set a price and if it is too much for their budget, I direct them to other options or just say no. I was at the point where I would agree to make a cake for what the customer wanted to pay and then I would spend hours, staying up all night, to do the cake. I would have no time for my family and received pennies for my time. I had to tell myself that I was worth more than that. I don't know how Earlene's chart is set up, but in the size...
Big hugs to you. My oldest will be doing this soon. I still have 3 young ones to keep me busy though. Keep your head up and be proud. You must have brought him up right!