Posts by inspiredbymom

Thanks guys! I know that I went off my policy and that was my first mistake. Most people I work with don't do a tasting unless it is a wedding cake. I know weird. I would rather work with people face to face and get it all taken care of. This particular person already had our cake somewhere else. Contacted me twice about the date. It was still stupid of me though. I am taking the time and having a girls day with my BF and my girls. I haven't done that in a LONG...
Usually on first timers, I require a deposit of 25-50% depending on the size. Repeat customers I don't. Wedding cakes require a deposit and final payment before they go out. There just wasn't much time on this one. It was simple, just big! I limit myself to 1-3 cakes a week depending on the size and design. I had a feeling something was up during our first conversation but I couldn't put a finger on it. I was stupid because I was trusting. At least I didn't bake or...
Yeah, I have to learn not to bend my rules for anyone. It never pays to be nice anymore!
I had a person contact me last month about a cake via FB. I asked her to call me. The next afternoon, I received a call from someone who said that I asked them to call. I could only assume (and we all know what that means) that she was the person who is ordering the cake. I gave her the run down and I started to receive pictures. We emailed each other several times and I agreed to do a 3 tier cake. I turned away several people with that in mind. (I only do this on...
JanDunlevy: My FD does not tilt. Never needed it. I guess if I ever do, I will try the binder thing! Still love it even without a tilting feature. One other thing, I do use a circle of non slip material on the top just for a little extra grip!
http://www.acemart.com/prod121108009.htmlThey have a amc905525. I didn't see a 905225. They have defined their shipping policies on their site. HTH
I love my FD. It turns so smooth! I don't have to touch it to go around in circles when icing a cake. However, it also turns too easily sometimes. I have to tape the bottom of the wheel to the base to hold it still! (or make hubby hold it in place! ) I also use the regular Wilton turntable. However, DH took it apart and lubed the bearings. Now it isn't so bad.
I wouldn't risk it if you were doing it for a customer. Then again, I am crazy about best by dates. Drives my husband crazy! What about just using regular fondant colored brown if you don't need it to taste like chocolate? (I have to say, the stuff is really yummy!) Maybe ask Satin Ice customer service. They are really nice to work with.
BRP has quite a selection of small boxes and they have smaller order amounts. CK has some inserts, but the quantity may be larger than what you want and they have a minimum order.
I would have to agree with all of the above! I have switched to cane sugar because of the grainy feeling as well as it turns a little pink if it sets. You don't see it unless you put something white up to it! Sweetex high-ratio shortening is the best one that I have worked with. The icing has been stable every time. Sharon Zambito's butter cream is awesome! We used it as the basis for ours. We had to change a few things to suit our needs, tastes, environment and...