Posts by inspiredbymom

You also have to take count of your area when you are figuring pricing.  I know that I could not ever get 250 for a 12" cake where I am.  Very few of the best known cake makers in my area charge that much.  If they do, it is adorned to the hilt and is for weddings.  In my area, I get both worlds.  For a baby shower, I would quote $80 for that cake because my base rate is 2.00 a serving. It would be more if they wanted other stuff added to it.  If I look in the Wilton...
BakingIrene:  Out of curiosity, does the vinegar leave a taste with the batter?  Would white or cider be the one you choose?  What type of fruit puree would you recommend for a white cake that will not overpower?  I too am concerned with the holes that I get in the new boxed cake while I try out new recipes.  So far, I haven't found out that works for me.  I will be trying the one from ScratchSF's blog soon though!
Please keep us posted on how it turns out!  I've had good luck using royal and black (especially when I ordered the wrong color!  Sorry DH) so I am curious how this turns out!
Not all new sizes are created equal.  With the smaller Duncan Hines Classics, their customer service told me that you can still modify the size of your mix by taking some from a second box without problems.  If you use Pillsbury, it is a different story because they have completely changed their formulation and it is off!  I have been trying different store brands, but so far nothing has compared to what it was before all of the changing by any company.  I am actually...
I just noticed in my Bakery Craft catalog that they have a tilting turntable.  It is suppose to be non slip.  I don't know anything about it other than that but I though it was something different. HTH
In your posting, you listed the Department of Agriculture. They are part of it, but they may not know what is going on. Unfortunately, it sounds like the don't know where to send you. I answer to a local county department of health. They go by what the state department of health code standards are. Do you have a state department of health or a county health department? Is there a way to find out in the legislation who is monitoring this? There should be a reporting...
FromScratchSF: I don't know if this helps, and by no means do I know the ins and outs of other states, counties, etc. but in my county, in my state, there are so many rules that go to this. My HD goes by the minimum guidelines set forth by the state. The same HD when I was in the city limits had to enforce a different set of rules added on by the city. I could not bake there. The non perishable is really more like non potentially hazardous. That is probably better...
The food law that I go by is the same way. I can bake from my kitchen without a lic. or insp. I have to inform every potential customer of this. I am not allowed to use icing that contains egg, (even cooked) cream cheese or whipped cream. They look at the water/sugar ratios as well. I never do anything new without passing it by them (in writing to cover myself) because I don't want to do something questionable with them. That is why I'm still on the fence about...
Sparklecat6: That song! Now it is stuck in my head too! Ugh! Thanks for the laugh and the link. LOVED the poem!OP, good job dodging the bullet.
You are correct Unlimited! My mistake! Thank you!