Posts by inspiredbymom

Last year, I had a consult with a bride and her mother.  They loved our cake and put down a deposit.  They wanted a wedding cake and cupcakes for the guests.  Today, I received an email stating that they want to change the order.  They want us to do the cake but want someone else to do the cupcakes.     In the past, I was asked to do a dummy cake for a wedding with someone else making servings for the guests.  I turned it down before we even consulted.  If the other...
For cookies, I have even used chopsticks when I didn't have anything else around!  I just put two of them with the pointed sides side by side to keep the it the same height as the flat part.  It worked in a pinch and I had tons of them to put around the dough!  I also use wax paper to roll/cool dough and then cut them out when they are set.  I bake on parchment though.  I love my pastry cloths for pie dough and have several on hand for busy days!  Also, if you go the...
Thank you FromScratchSF!  I l learned a new word today (yurt) and will now have to use it in a sentence tomorrow.  LOL!  BTW, it still sounds neat, dirt and all.
I feel really out of it!  11 years ago, my DH and I paid for our own wedding.  Being on a tight budget and paying cash (no bills to drag us down after the wedding!!!) we only spent around $5,000.  I printed my own invites and programs.  We didn't do candles because of all of the kids around.  My dress cost $250 on sale.  It wasn't the fanciest, but I loved it and that's what counts!  We had a local restaurant cater a simple chicken/ham dinner.  We had a live band and a...
Sassy74:  I'm excited for you too!  That stuff is AWESOME!!!  I love it!  I have to order mine in too.  I tried calling the company to find it closer than Florida, but they were no help.  So, I continue to order it and pay shipping.  It is still worth it because of the way it handles.     Annabakescakes:  I have not done a comparison, but I had a chance to order Penguin or Sweetex.  I talked to Sharon, (aka Sugarshack) and she told me to stick with Sweetex to get the...
Don't give in.  I've given in before and then regretted it.  That is too much work.  Besides, if she is that demanding, you don't want any part of that.  She would probably find something wrong and want her money back!  
I have converted a cookie cake recipe to a type of reversed creaming and it make a HUGE difference in the end product.  I cream the butter and sugars together and then add the flour.  (I also changed the flour to unbleached and that makes a difference too.)  I just combine and then add room temp eggs until just combined.  It makes for a very tender cookie. 
I who calls me at least 4-5 times a day and sends emails to me when I have a cake calendared for her.  One time she asked me for a picture and I sent her a picture of the KA bowl full of icing at midnight.  I let the calls go the to machine because I can not work and talk at the same time.  I even had that conversation with her.  She just gets too excited!     I also wait to post pics to Facebook until after the event date because I don't want to ruin someone's...
Your cake should be fine if you use boards and doweling.  As far as putting fondant on a tall cake, I watched a video on you tube about a tall round cake.  I'm sure that you can use it for that as well.   Okay, bad news is I tried to add the link to this message only to find out that the videos have been taken down yesterday!  I know that there are others.  I would just do a search or maybe someone will see this and send you another link.  Sorry I couldn't help!  :(
I love my majic lines.  I have round, square and sheet.  I love the corners.  My FD's are good heavy pans, but they are rounded in the corners and I don't like that.  I do line the bottom of my pans regardless just because I like the results better than just coating them with some type of release.  As far as the strips go, I have used them, but found if I took old towels and cut them into strips, I have good results with that too.  I like the way it keeps the sides from...