Posts by inspiredbymom

Can you color it without it turning to the sloppy mess that the new wilton does?  I agree with satin ice.  I can't get past the smell.  Reminds me of "craft dough".  Does Fondx or Fonarific mold and shape well?  Do they handle color?  
We received our first shipment of "new" fondant a couple of weeks ago.  We opened a box and tasted it.  Tasted better.  Almost like MMF.  I was super hopeful!  Then came time this past weekend to put it through the test.  (We generally do butter cream cakes with fondant accents.)  Let me just say, I will be spending most of my upcoming weeks looking for a different fondant.  Even with tylose (gum tex) it does not act the same.  The product does not set up.  Even cutting a...
It all has to do with the area.  I charge more than most in the area (50 mile radius) and about .25 less than others.  Some of the people who charge more are getting fewer orders and the people charging less are struggling to keep up.  I am sitting just right.  I have about 2-4 orders per week as I have another business that I work 55 hours a week at.  I win about 75% of all quotes that I do.  The people who generally tip are the ones from the "city".  I am rural and the...
Unfortunately not enough to make another across the board increase.  They are kind enough to give nice tips.  The gesture in itself mean more to me than an extra 5 or 10 cents more per serving.  They let you know that they value you and your time when others may not.  
My own family tells me that I charge too much and they only pay cost.  My niece once called me for a first birthday cake for 50 people.  I gave her my price for the rainbow layered (every layer a color of the rainbow) plus rainbow matching icing.  Her reply was "well, I had someone who said that they could do it for 35.00.  I just wanted to give you the business to help you if you could do it for less."  Well, I am over booked EVERY weekend and loosing money is not really...
The cake is done!  I tried posting it here but it didn't work, so I posted it with the other ones.  I hope it works because I don't think that I have posted a picture since January!     We used piping gel to make the pearls stick since it had to be covered and not just here and there.  It also had to go about 80 miles, part of it on the interstate which is VERY full of potholes!  I cringed on every one of them!  We only lost 12 pearls!  LOL!     Side cakes are 2...
I originally put this at the end of another posting but I was not sure if it went out.     I am making a cake for a wedding this weekend.  They wanted sugar pearls on the tops of the tiers.  At first, I was going to use royal to attach the pearls but I didn't want to make the cake top hard (this is going to be a buttercream cake).  I decided to try piping gel.  I did find a posting supporting that.  However, after thinking about things a little more, I was wondering...
I have one of these "encrusted" pearl cakes to do this weekend.  I was wondering if there was a trick to applying them to the cake without them bouncing all over!  Any suggestions will help!  I plan on using piping gel instead of royal so it will not be so hard to cut.
She is fully aware that the deposit to save the date was just that, to save the date.  She also mentioned it in the email that she sent to me cancelling.  I was going to offer it back because I thought I would have to break the contract, but that was not the case.  The "save the date" money is to hold the date and not accept anything else that date.  She had not finished her decisions on the size of cake yet so we did not get the 1/2 down yet.  It was a work in progress...
Thank you all for your responses!  I was just gearing up to talk to her and offer her the deposit when I received an email from her cancelling my services.  I really don't know what happened or why, but I get to keep the deposit!    I am sure that I will eventually hear the scoop!     I am glad that I am not the only one who feels this way about two bakers/one wedding.  I thought maybe I was just being a cake snob!  I didn't want to be thought of that way but I don't...