Posts by doramoreno62

So I was reading another thread where the cake fell and SPS was mentioned. SPS is always mentioned when the cake falls, lol. Someone basically asked if the SPS was foolproof. I have never used them before. I use either pvc for larger cakes or bubble tea straws for smaller ones. I drive a wooden dowel in the center all the way down to the drum. I have never had an accident (knock on wood) in 26 years but I am very stressed during delivery as I deliver fully stacked. So,...
I don't crush them. I paint them with a thick coat of white chocolate like JWinslow. Once dry I file away any raised areas with a fine cheese grater or micro plane. Then cover with a thicker piece of fondant.
For 1lb of chocolate I use no more than 1/3 c. of corn syrup and no powdered sugar. I've never heard of adding powdered sugar to it.
6 is not normal, nor is 8. I think you can get at least 12 from a bag. The chocolate must be runny, which Wilton candy melts is not. It is thick and hard to work with. If you add shortening, It will help but not much. And if you keep reheating you are probably overheating it which will thicken it.Add Paramount crystals to thin it out. Better yet, use a better quality melt such as Merkins. I never have a problem with that.
The problem here is the whipping cream. I think a good crusting cream cheese frosting will be ok covered with fondant.   I frost ALL my cakes with Pastry Pride. It's a non dairy whipped topping that comes in a frozen liquid which once thawed has to be whipped to the firmness you want. If you look at my pictures you will see that I use fondant and gumpaste accents on my cakes.   I also learned the hard way. I did a polka dotted cake and used gumpaste dots in all...
BatterUpCake, that is exactly how I do it!
What if you did the top and bottom tiers like your mom wants and do the center tier with gold scroll work? like this cake. Not the whole cake, just look at the tiers with the gold scroll work.   http://cdn.cakecentral.com/7/70/900x900px-LL-70cd8f68_modulescopperminealbumsuserpics64288Magdas_wedding_cake_1a.jpeg
I didn't see norasmom's Santa cake. Can someone post it please? I just gotta see it now!
I lied, this one is awful too  
  You really cannot get any more horrendous than this: