Posts by doramoreno62

Thanks for all your help kids! My customer googled images and didn't really like what she saw so she's leaving the design up to me. I love when I get the chance to do that! Divadidelights, I love that ghost tutorial!Sandyvrc, I like the idea about softening the colors.I hope to break my cakers block and come up with a cute design for her.Thanks again everyone!
I only use mexican vanilla in everything unless whatever I'm making has to be white white, like frosting or a white cake. The flavor is fabulous, to me its a bit more pronounced. You may want to use a little more than half of what your recipe calls for. I make a mexican flan that gets raves every time, and I use the mexican vanilla in it.
I've made this cake a couple of times. Using the 6" and 8" double layer rounds, you should get 36 servings according to Earlenes cake cutting chart. I have also made it using 8" and 10" double layer rounds which served 60. I would not recommend going any bigger than that as it might look strange. If you need it even larger you could do the 6" and 8" castle and add a 10" at the bottom decorated to look like a field of grass and add some flowers. I hope this helped, good luck!
Any good ideas out there? It has to be 3 tiers and serve approx 80 people. They want it spooky but still "babyish", not bloody or gory. Any help would be appreciated as I have cakers block at the moment, haha!
Oh for sure you can use the cheaper styrofoam ones from the dollar store or craft stores. You know what they say, A penny saved is a penny earned!
If you are worried about having to refrigerate the cake because of the cream cheese filling, I have read here on CC that the powdered sugar in the filling actually stabilizes the cream cheese so it needs no refrigeration. You can probably do a search on that subject to be sure.
I would use cake drums and styrofoam cake dummies and attach them with a low temp glue gun.
I would not use a tin can. I baked three 12 inch cakes tonite and I just used a flower nail in the pan as a heating core. It works great and there ia almost no hole in the center. If you're using a tin can, aren't you left with a big hole in the middle of the cake?
Not trying to ruffle any feathers out there but, Um, has anyone thought of buying dark brown ones and adding a bit of black candy coloring? That's what I do...just sayin!
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2105826Is this what you mean?