Posts by ladyk333

I wonder if you could buy untinted butter at a health food store . . . The color in butter is not natural, so perhaps you could buy some whiter butter? I'm sure it would be more expensive, but worth looking into.
I'm not sure the sugar to egg white ratio in that recipe, but I also wanted something a bit sweeter than the Well Dressed Cake recipe (1 cup sugar to 5 egg whites). I increased the sugar to 1 1/2 cups per 5 egg whites and I use it all the time this way. It is delicious!I'm still curious if anyone uses the powdered egg whites . . .
I always use Satin Ice fondant and I do refrigerate my cakes in a separate regular fridge. I live in a dry climate and have never had any condensation on my cakes! Experiment on your family!! Make a lovely filled cake with a delicious perishable filling, cover in fondant and refrigerate (Easter is coming up!), bring it out to come to room temp and see what happens. It really does depend upon the humidity of your environment.Good luck!
I will check again with my health inspector, but I have been told that SMBC is perishable. I think there are some conflicting ideas out there; I'd like to know the science behind it to understand for sure.
Hello! You need to be sure that it is kept refrigerated as it is perishable. It stays as hard as butter when cold, so there is no risk of it soaking into your cake or deflating, if you are concerned about those things. On the day of the wedding, they will need to have it out to come to room temp as it is tastiest served that way. I've been told not longer than 5 hours out - though I have had it out longer at a family event and it was just fine.Good luck with this!
Hello! You need to be sure that it is kept refrigerated as it is perishable. It stays as hard as butter when cold, so there is no risk of it soaking into your cake or deflating, if you are concerned about those things. On the day of the wedding, they will need to have it out to come to room temp as it is tastiest served that way. I've been told not longer than 5 hours out - though I have had it out longer at a family event and it was just fine.Good luck with this!
I think you can buy mylar at any art store or even Michael's. I'm going to try this myself, so I'll let you know where I find it!Cheers!
I would most certainly recommend "The Cake Bible" by Rose Levy Beranbaum. So many amazing recipes, tips, diagrams etc. It's old school baking done incredibly beautifully.Enjoy!
Hi! I bet you can do it! How much time do you have? If not a lot, I would use modeling chocolate, as it creates a firmer base more quickly. Or gumpaste/ fondant (50/50) together. My best advice would be to google "animal figures from gumpaste or modeling chocolate tutorial" and you will find something with step - by - step instructions. I did that when I wanted to make the teddy bear on the polka dot cake in my pictures. I learned tricks like using a hard piece of...
I'm very excited for you too - I'm also a teacher, turned stay at home Mom, turned cake artist! I'm new to all of this, but having just made 72 handmade gumpaste plumeria flowers for 72 corporate retirement cupcakes that I discounted by 10% since they ordered more than 4 dozen - I would say that you should NOT discount. I would not personally make a cake for under $50 - if they want the other local cheaper option, that is okay. If they want your quality of product (from...