Posts by tokazodo

Does anyone know how to use real ribbon on butter cream, without having it show grease stains? Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated!
I've seen some cakes that have had wilton piping gel tinted blue. Although I have never personally used it.
I use less milk also, just like mentioned above and it works.
I too refuse to set up a cake unless it's the day of the wedding. Then, there is always Murphy's Law.I too live on the Outer Banks of N.C. I had a wedding cake order a few years ago for a cake to feed 150 people. There was a wedding planner involved. I went to the rental cottage to deliver the cake, and the 'wedding' planner asked me to set it out on the deck for an outside wedding. My gut wrenched.It was 97 degrees (August!) outside and I had a cake covered in butter...
I too would dam up the edges with buttercream. Another option would be to cut back on the amount of lemon filling you are using. You only need a thin layer of the tart lemon pie filling.
Recently, my local grocery store had DH cake mixes, 10 for $10.00. I stocked up on them. For the first time in 20 years, I had cakes crack, I had cakes so crumbly I had to stop torting them. I had several sheet cakes that I could not cut into layers, but just iced in a single layer.I am wondering if DH changed the formula of their cake mix. My next trip to the store I purchase Pilsbury and didn't have any problems. FYI : I freeze my layers always. I find they are easier to...
Wow! This is awesome! In the past, I have just gone to the supermarket and asked for cardboard boxes they were going to throw away. I've also used beer flats or soda flats. (a half a box which holds 24 cans of soda/beer)2 boxes will hold a 13X9 inch cake comfortably. 4 boxes cut lengthwise and taped together will hold a half a sheet cake.I also grab up any tp or paper towel boxes, cut into circles or cake boards and wrap with 2 layers of freezer paper. (shiney side...
I'm still new to fondant, but a professional baker. Someone stated to roll on vinyl? Why not purchase a vinyl see through curtain from the dollar store, and mark the circles with black permanent maker. Use the opposite side that you mark. You could cut the vinyl shower curtain into several squares, mark the different size circles, and have a circle for whatever size you needed. Just roll the fondant until you hit the right sized circle. You could even use a smaller piece...
I hope I don't get booted off the site for sending an off site video: this is what I founda sponger roller was used
I pulled a video from youtube and watched someone rolling butter cream with a sponged roller. I'm going to give it a try. About 10 years ago, I watched someone use the Viva towel method. It makes the cake pretty neat looking. I didn't like the texture then, but now, seeing as fondant cakes have become all the rage, I'm thinking of trying it with my buttercream cakes.