Posts by tokazodo

this is a picture a bride brought to me, and I have no idea how this cake was finished. It looks like it could be butter cream, but I'm not certain. Does anyone know how to do the technique on the sides of the cake?Any help would be deeply appreciated!
The recipe you are inquiring about is very similar to Wilton buttercream. The ratio of fat to sugar is the same, with the exception that 1/2 cup of butter has been swapped out for 1/2 cup of shortening, which will probably make your icing more stable. (not that Wilton buttercream is unstable) (1/2 cup butter - 1 1/2 cups shortening compared to the Wilton recipe of 1 cup butter to 1 cup shortening)The amount of icing the recipe yields, should ice and fill one 8" or 9"...
I googled ," Make your own cake stands", and there are a lot of hits. This is one of them:http://fiftieswedding.com/diy-thursday-make-your-own-cake-stands-its-so-easy/If you don't like any of the above, perhaps you can search for one you do like. I would try to coordinate the two cakes and cake stands. It could be with ribbon around the cake, or jewels around the cake stand. I would try to find one element of each cake or cake stand to either coordinate or compliment it's...
I did a quick google search and found there are not too many of these cakes around...yet!It seems it might be up and coming, you are on to something creative and new!On my search, I found a caker here at cc who did this already. I would attempt to stack it the same way this caker says she did in the description of the cake. hthhttp://cakecentral.com/gallery/1691360/beer-can-wedding-cake
http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=20145&name=4%20x%202%20inch%20Round%20Cake%20Pan%20by%20Fat%20Daddio's
WOW!
Today, I spoke with someone about an up coming order. They said the venue is going to charge a cake cutting fee of $1.50 per slice. This is the first I have heard of a thing like this. Anyone else heard of this?Cake for 200 people X's cake cutting fee of $1.50 per slice = $300.00 for cutting cake? I'm thinking about giving up cake decorating and becoming a professional cake cutter. My hours will be cut dramatically, and the overhead is way low! Lol!
I have used it in my Red Velvet Cake Recipe. I would try 1 teaspoon at first and adjust it from there. I honestly don't think you will need a tablespoon of it. Americolor is some pretty concentrated stuff. I love it! I have not noticed any after taste with the Americolor food gels, in my Red Velvet Cake.
I'm with CRW41. I freeze. It's the only way I can get a head in life. Another useful tool I have found is a thin plastic cutting sheet you find at the Dollar Store. Last time I purchased they came 2 for a dollar. I have actually cut on in half, width wise. You can use a full thin cutting sheet for slipping under cakes which feel too fragile to handle. The cakes slide right on and off.It's great for slipping in between layers which have already been torted. I also use...
I went to google and typed in 'plaid cake', and clicked images. there were a couple of good examples there. If I were going to make this cake, I would make the 2 layer quarter sheet and shape like you are saying. I would roll my fondant out, perhaps in a base color, or just white, in a solid sheet, and then paint with vodka and food gels to get the desired plaid look. Instead of pleating the fondant (won't that be too thick?)I would cut the fondant in strips and overlap...