Posts by tokazodo

I use Milk Shake Straws, which are very thick and about 1/4 inch around. They work very well for smaller 2 tier cakes. The straws can be cut with scissors. For larger wedding cakes, I use the poly dowels from G.S.A.There are two sizes, 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch. My most recent square wedding cake, I used the 1/2 inch and I cut them with pruning shears. (A brand new...
I like what Diane had to say. That's how I would do it. If you use the gum paste, or fondant gumpaste mixture, and let it dry (with tooth picks in it) I think you would be good to go. That being said, I am not too sure of the size of the fins/tail you are speaking of. If they are larger then 3-4 inches, then perhaps you do want to wrap the foam like you were talking about above. IF they are just 3-4 inches tall to begin with, then I think you should be okay without the...
Love this!(We need a "Like", button!)
This is not something I can give you a concrete answer to, but I can give you some ideas to think about. If you do not have an oven thermometer, you may want to invest in one. One possibility is that your cakes did not cook long enough. Thermostats kind of have minds of their own when the start getting older. If the thermostat on your oven is getting older, it could actually be cooking foods 25-50 degrees cooler then what you think. I simple $8;00 oven thermometer might be...
Is it me or have there been quite a few trolls around?
Cake Boss is on netflix, if you can stand all the drama. I can only do one or two at a time and an earlier poster had the best idea, turn the volume down!
This is freaking awesome! If it can hold the cactus, surely it can hold the tower.
I still say we need a "Like", button. This just made me laugh out loud. Full of yourself, aren't ya Scratch?
In response to your question can you freeze butter, yes you can. I have done it for years. Recently I found butter @ $2.50 a pound and stocked up. To use it I take it out of the freezer a day or so a head of time and place it in the fridge. I use the microwave to soften it on the defrost cycle but I don't walk away from it. I do it for 30 seconds, 15 seconds and 15 seconds. When I pinch the stick of butter and it has some give, I know it's ready. Then I beat the dickens...
Apti, i totally makes sense what you are saying. My initial thought is that it is butter cream. I think it is the colors that are throwing me off. I am wondering if there is a base coat of black underneath so that it looks like the scaring on a birch tree. I will search the forums and see what i can find. Thanks, all!