Posts by tokazodo

I was going to suggest this. I know it does seem sacrilegious but...I know Wilton has an 18" pan which is a half moon shape. You need to bake two halves and 'glue' them together with buttercream. If I make two layers, I try to make it so the seams are perpendicular, not parallel to each other. It would then a make your 14" round, 7" wide and you can freeze them flat. I freeze all the time and even though the cakes are frozen, they are not rock hard. I have had dents and...
Buttercream does not like heat or humidity. If you are warm and sweaty, then your buttercream is probably warm and sweaty too. A fondant covering would protect it some what. I am sure you can imagine the temperature it would take to make butter start to get soft and I think that would be a good indicator as to when your icing would start getting soft under fondant. I have found that swapping out some of the meringue powder, with equal measure corn starch, helps...
Call me crazy (many people do, including my family!) But when I heard all the elements, I started seeing black, as in a base color. As in , a 4 tiered cake covered in black fondant. The silver will accent the black and the pink will 'pop' or compliment it. Black and Silver should pull in a motor cycle also.If she wants a motor cycle as a cake topper, that is telling me she is not a traditional bride and might go for the black wedding cake. Good Luck!
I decided to go to Suger Ed productions and purchase Sharon Zambito's Perfecting the Fine Art of Buttercream. I wish I would have known about it long ago. It was worth the purchase. I think it depends on what method you are using as to what speed you use. Cream the fat, add the sugar on first speed so it doesn't look like it snowed in your kitchen. Once you get the sugar and liquid incorporated, you can start bumping up the speed to a 3 or 4. Using my old method, I used...
I think a display of cake pops, alternating with cupcakes would be interesting on a stand. The differences in the height would. You could add in interest in texture by piping the icing with a star tip on the cupcakes. It would contrast the smooth surface of the pop vs the edges of the piped icing. Cupcakes are never hard for me to make. They are just so easy to ice, vs cake or even smaller cakes. Good luck with your cake pops and be sure to add a photo to this thread so we...
I made cake pops once...........ONCE!
We all have to start somewhere. Carpenters don't just pick up a hammer and automatically know how to build a house. They take their time learning the fundamentals, getting the basics down and then perfect their craft. Where do I get inspired? Other cake decorators like Sharon Zambito, Loraine McKay, Edna De la Cruz and Ron Ben Israel, Cake Central, Cakesdecor.com and google images!Your wedding cupcakes will be fine. I like your mocha cupcakes in your photos, they look...
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfmThe above chart will tell you how many servings per pan. Squares are a pain but there are many videos out there for help. If you have time and money, Sharon Zambito's "Perfecting The Art of Buttercream" will get you to where you need to go. It's a great video for learning the basic of buttercream icing. She even includes her recipe. Good Luck to you, tokazodo
I made a two tier wedding cake with roses and rose buds on the sides of the cake, and butter cream 'dots/pearls' as a border. I had given it as a gift to the couple who couldn't afford a wedding cake and were going to make it themselves. There was a 3 year old, trying to pick the 'dots' off the cake with his fingers. No one seemed to notice. The kid couldn't figure out why the 'dots' wouldn't come off in one piece, like a piece of candy.They were butter cream!I thought it...
I would make her a cake for $25.00, but then again, it would only be a $25.00 cake!Why don't you show her what you can do for $25.00, and for $125.00 and let her make the choice? If she doesn't call you back, go enjoy some found time with your family. No worries, Be Happy!