Posts by tokazodo

I work a full time job and do cakes part time, until I can do cakes full time. This had turned into 12 - 14 hour days, 6-7 days a week. When I am finished a big event, I put my feet up and chill out, swearing I never want to see another cake for a few days. Within moments, I usually end up on the internet, looking at new cake designs and checking the business e-mail to see when my next cake order is. Yeah, I admit, I'm eat up with it. I've become a bit obsessed.
I am so glad to hear that you are good to go. Last year, my island was split in two by Hurricane Irene and it was shut down to tourist for 2 months. Many of the local business suffered and one bakery closed their doors forever. Many people were left homeless due to the flooding. I was one of the fortunate ones. The only loss I suffered was the loss of the 6 booked wedding cakes. (The island was under mandatory evacuation, so I never actually baked the cakes)On the lighter...
I thought I was the only one who called them, "Damn-its"!
I have dealt with wedding planners, bakeries and venues who have tried to get a piece of my business and they always mess things up. They don't even know how to take a proper cake order. The bakery, put a substantial mark up my cakes as did the wedding planner. A piece of the pie, I was missing out on. Anytime, I have had a middle man between me and my customers, it has been a pain in the neck. It turns into something like that game we played when we were kids, "Gossip",...
I just remembered why I quit coming to this website. I sanitize the dowels before I use them. I wonder where Buddy Valastro gets he's wooden dowels, pvc pipes, plywood or 2 X 4's. Just sayin'
Stripes always seem masculine to me. A cake with stripes?I'd keep it super simple, especially because it's a freebie.
I ask for a $25.00 fee at the time of the tasting. Setting up the cake for tasting takes about 30 minutes to an hour and I usually spend 45 minutes to an hour with the customer. That's a lot of time required to set it up as a 'free' tasting. Should the couple decide to use me as their baker, the $25.00 goes towards the overall price of the final wedding cake. I do not use whole cakes either. I set up small bite size samples of 3 or four different flavors of cake and maybe...
I would cover the cake with black fondant, and then use white food coloring deluted with vodka to make the stars. I would use the either the flat end, or pointed end of a bamboo skewer, depending on the size of the round dot you wish, and dip it in the mixture, and then put the dots on the cake. Global Sugar Art carries, America White Food Coloring Gel. Or you could splatter paint it by dipping a clean new tooth brush into the food coloring, and running your thumb over the...
There was a forum thread about 6 months ago about a similar type e-mail going around. Someone ordering a cake, via e-mail, from out of the country. The person who was writing the e-mail was doing something hinky with a credit card, I forget exactly how the scam went down, but it left the baker in debt some how. I would avoid it. If her husband to be is here in the states, let him bring you cash. Explain to her, that you usually do deposits, 6 months in advance and it is...
I have forbidden my 19 year old daughter to have an out door wedding. This past April, a friend of mine had an outdoor wedding. We were a captive audience for the reception, out by the pool. Where I live, this is normal and temperatures should have been in the 70's. We froze our butts off. It was 50* with a sharp wind. I had to sit outside by the pool four hours, with no sweater and no jacket. Everyone was miserable, except the bride and groom. They were too giddy to...