Posts by tokazodo

I have used Davinci Syrup in a cake recipe. I would not use it to replace ALL the liquid in a cake. I feel it would make it too sweet.  I have also used Davinci Syrup in my coffee. A half ounce goes a long way in a coffee cup.    Maybe try substituting it for half the liquid or less.    I was very satisfied with the cake I used it in. I used 2 ounces of the flavored syrup in a triple recipe, but I was using other flavorings also. (It was in a coconut cake...
You really are quite talented. Could you teach, instead of giving up altogether? Work on dummy cakes?It'd be a shame to let such talent sit by the wayside. I understand your health issues. Best of luck to you!tokazodo
Instead of doing a large gumpaste flower, could you do a small accent flower or flower buds and just scatter a few among the vine? I don't think it would take much, and it doesn't have to be very big, but it would in cooperate the brides colors onto the cake.
I did it for the first time this past year. You just ice it straight away. It's a piece of cake, well, but then again....
I work a full time job and do cakes part time, until I can do cakes full time. This had turned into 12 - 14 hour days, 6-7 days a week. When I am finished a big event, I put my feet up and chill out, swearing I never want to see another cake for a few days. Within moments, I usually end up on the internet, looking at new cake designs and checking the business e-mail to see when my next cake order is. Yeah, I admit, I'm eat up with it. I've become a bit obsessed.
I am so glad to hear that you are good to go. Last year, my island was split in two by Hurricane Irene and it was shut down to tourist for 2 months. Many of the local business suffered and one bakery closed their doors forever. Many people were left homeless due to the flooding. I was one of the fortunate ones. The only loss I suffered was the loss of the 6 booked wedding cakes. (The island was under mandatory evacuation, so I never actually baked the cakes)On the lighter...
I thought I was the only one who called them, "Damn-its"!
I have dealt with wedding planners, bakeries and venues who have tried to get a piece of my business and they always mess things up. They don't even know how to take a proper cake order. The bakery, put a substantial mark up my cakes as did the wedding planner. A piece of the pie, I was missing out on. Anytime, I have had a middle man between me and my customers, it has been a pain in the neck. It turns into something like that game we played when we were kids, "Gossip",...
I just remembered why I quit coming to this website. I sanitize the dowels before I use them. I wonder where Buddy Valastro gets he's wooden dowels, pvc pipes, plywood or 2 X 4's. Just sayin'
Stripes always seem masculine to me. A cake with stripes?I'd keep it super simple, especially because it's a freebie.