Posts by de_montsoreau

As you covered your cake in fondant, it would not dry out in 24 hours unless it was dry to begin with (i.e. overbaked). Most cakes taste better after sitting around for 1-2 days as the flavours will develop.I completely agree with costumeczar, very good advice.
Just "glue" it on with a little bit of Royal Icing. You can still remove the cake but it will not move on its own. HTH.
I did/do the same as mombabytiger and sell it as a service. It saves them time and money and in addition I get a good idea of their style and tastes. Of course you have to figure your costs of doing this into the final cake price.I am working on a different solution now where I hope to renovate an outbuilding on the property to have my office and cosultation area.
Here in Germany the avarage guest count is around 65-80. I have lots of weddings with 40-50 guests. Actually, even in the densly populated metropolitan area that I live in, you would be hard pressed to find a nice venue for more than 200 people (except for the large hotels, but they are more stuffy than nice). Next Monday I have a wedding cake for 25 guests. Makes no difference for me. Actually the small weddings are a lot more detail oriented and the brides are willing to...
The most popular cake muggle question in Germany is " How much do you charge for a 3-tiered wedding cake?" Sometimes it is even just "How much is a wedding cake?"Another thing is that almost all customers fear they will not have enough cake - and our serving sizes are a lot larger than the wilton chart...
When I do bridal fairs, I actually have signs next to my display cakes "Please do not touch". People come up close, look at the decorations "Are those roses real?!?" and touch them. Now we all now how fragile gumpaste roses are. I had a couple of incidents where I really needed to hold onto myself not to scream "Idiots" or something even more drastic at these people...But poking in real cake is even worse! I would have made her eat a huge chunk of the cake where she stuck...
I make a very similar recipe all the time as well. Will definitely try your tip and skip the folding!Another tip for this to skip the bain marie - whisk the eggs lightly and then add 1 teaspoon of VERY hot water per egg, continue whisking untill you have a very fluffy mass then gradually add the sugar.BTW, I use granulated sugar instead of powdered sugar as well.
@Sam - yes I cut them fairly short when I know I have cakes to cover. Luckily my nails grow fairly quickly so when I have the luxury of a weekend off, I also have to luxury of manicured nails WITH nailpolish *sigh* Doesn't happen very often though...I have seen Edna in her videos decorating with quite long nails - don't know how she does it. I do not have the patience to try to smooth every mark I leave.
I always have little nicks on my hands, especially the right hand as I use it the most (my left is hopelessly useless). The middle finger of my right hand becomes swollen and I can not move it anymore if I have a lot of orders on and stress my hand too much.My glasses have a constant coating of flour/cornstarch/powdered sugar. Oh, my clothes as well. I have stuff that I wear just for working. And I have to keep my fingernails short, otherwise they leave marks in the...
Ha, just smile brightly into her face and say: " Hey, I have a brilliant idea - why don't we do it together?!?! It will be soooo much fun!!" No worries, she will not agree and then you have an easy way out: " Oh, I can not do it alone with having xyz to do".That was the diplomatic way... I would just say " Well, I rather bake a cake for myself so I can eat it, too" lolEdited for typo