Posts by de_montsoreau

Your problem seems to be that you put the meringue in the fridge. Once the meringue part sits for a while, it will loose ist "billowy" texture (the air will go out) and when you add the butter the whole mixture will go soupy.You will need to have patience and let the mixer run on low while the meringue is cooling to room temperature. It is very important not to let the meringue sit motionless. The meringue should not be cold, just cooled down to room temperature. Touch the...
In most supermarkets in Germany you buy your eggs in the grocery section - not refigerated. I put my eggs in the fridge after I have bought them (more out of habit), unless I use them the next day, then they are just left on the counter. I would have no qualms to keep them out for longer either. Germany has very strict rules on food safety and use-by-dates are given clearly.On the subject itself, I have found it difficult to get the same volume with carton egg whites as...
No, that will give you modelling paste which is fine for figures but not for making flowers.The one from Nicholas Lodge will give good results.http://www.firstimpressionsmolds.com/sugarpastefondantgumpasteandpastillage.aspxScroll down a bit.
If it is just little cracks, it is because your cake and filling have settled. Nothing to worry about, you can fondant them as normal.If of course the cake itself is cracking then I agree with cakegirl - no saving there.I am sure it'll be fine.
I don't see the problem there. Make a quarter of your recipe, bake as many cupcakes as you can get out of it, preferably when you are already baking something else, give one cupcake to your potential customer (she has to pick it up of course) and freeze the rest for the next request. This does not cost you much at all and is great customer service.
A few months ago I did a massive birthday cake for a large company. 2200 servings, 25 square meters big. I have a small commercial bakery on my property but it is not really designed for an order that size. I had help from my mother and my boyfriend. I worked for 80 straight hours(2 nights without sleep) as there was not way to freeze the 104 cakes needed beforehand, they were too large. Never ever again. The logistics alone were a huge undertaking. Sure, cupcakes are...
That's why I insist that the florist leaves the flowers for me and only I decorate the cake.Never had a bride question this. They understand that the florist does not share the same vision as bride and I do.Sorry you had to go through this!
Oh my... I am sorry you are having trouble.Take the smaller tier nd take off the fondant and scrape off the BC. Cut the circumfence of the tier until it fits with on the larger tier with quite a bit of space to spare. You have to calculate that all that BC and fondant will need space too. Ice the smaller tier in BC again and make sure that none of the filling is leaking out. That might be the reason why your fondant has started to melt. Chill it well (or put it in the...
I have a general contract which stipulates that one or more fact sheets are part of said contract. Usually we finalise design during the consultation (which also includes tasting, so one meeting only) and I send them the contract and fact sheet(s) as a signed pdf. The price of the order is also fixed in the fact sheet, so changes to design and price are easy to facilitate. Only the most up-to-date fact sheet is the relevant for me and the customer. For me, that's the least...
I do mostly wedding cakes which are usually 3 tiers and up and I average 3 for a weekend.Sundays and Mondays are my days off (unless I do more than 3 cakes then I start preparations on Monday). Tuesdays are for organisational things and shopping. I bake Wednesday (scratch), make fondant and start with decorations if needed, fill und crumb coat Thursdays and continue working on decorations. I cover the cakes Friday and finish all deco elements where possible. I stack and...