Posts by de_montsoreau

My customers must know about this thread - so one of them delivered something nice this morning, about a consultation scheduled for tomorrow:   " Yesterday a friend of ours who likes to bake offered to make the wedding cake for us. Of course that is something we have to look into, so I hope you will not mind me cancelling our consultation for tomorrow. I will come back to you if it doesn't work out, ok?".   Of course. Sure. I wish you a wonderful wedding with a...
Wednesday, around 5 pm. Phone rings in my shop. "Hello, I bought some of your wonderful cupcakes yesterday." (So far, so good). "Well, thank you what can I do for you?" "It's my girlfriend's birthday on Friday and I wonder if you could make me a custom made and decorated cake with various gumpaste figures for me to pick up on Friday?" "Eeeeehhhh - no, sorry...."     Phone rings today. "Hi, I really love your website and your cakes, could you make me a cake...
mandolina, I am at least glad ro see I am not the only one who did not receive an answer to my mail to them. Not good customer service, Somerset...   I will have a look at the links as well, thanks for that Nixs!  
Almost all books by UK cake artitsts recommend the double-layer method. I have pondered this for about 3 minutes but I would never sacrify taste for looks and 0,5 cm marzipan plus 0,5 cm fondant is almost half an inch of sugar... yuck. So I rather live with a not oh-so-perfectly-smooth cake (which my clients never notice anyway) and rest assured that the cake is eaten and enjoyed, because that is their primary raison d'être
Kakeladi, I think taarten is from the Netherlands and we Europeans have a different perception of how big a serving of cake should be It took me quite a while to figure out the sizes that work for me here in Germany as the serving sizes suggested by Wilton will be snorted at over here.For me, a 6" serves 8 as all my cakes are also 4" tall and have generous layers of filling.
110% what Evoir said.Incidentially, I am just in the middle (or luckly, rather the end of) writing a business plan to substantially enlarge my current business. This is a lot of hard work, even though it is not the first BP I am writing, but by far the most comprehensive. I would give this advice to everyone who starts or invests in a business - write your businessplan and then go to a bank, applying for a loan for this venture, even if you don't need the money. They will...
I know where you are coming from. Quite a few of the things you mentioned have happend to me as well.Work on one point at a time. Pick the one that bothers YOU the most and make an effort to avoid making this mistake from now on. Take measure that will help you to achieve this. For instance, when scheduling an appointment make it mandatory for yourself to write it down. Actually mention it to the person you are making the apponitment with "I am writing this in my calender...
As I am in Germany my experience is not that relatable to the US but over here, especially in my densly populated, affluent area, wedding fairs (as we call them over here) are extremly popular and the 2 big ones I attend (albeit expensive, the booths I book are close to 1.000 $ each) are the only marketing I need to do each year. During wedding season I am completely booked and I turn away orders almost daily. 75% of the bookings are related to the fairs. As we Germans are...
Germany will be difficult as there are not that many professional cake decorators around who are big enough to hire staff, plus you would need a work permit which are a PITA to obtain.Whre in Germany will you be located?
Slightly OT, sorry, but as the OP is from Belgium it might interest her as well,Jetwork, do you also ship to Europe, Germany in particular?