Posts by de_montsoreau

I do not have the time to get sick. In almost 4 years of being self employed I was never sick enough to warrant a stop in my manic schedule. Last year I delivered and set up a cupcake wedding cake with a sprained ankle. I missed a step in my shop just an hour before and after sucessfully fighting the dizziness I limped to my car and delivered the cake. So you get tough and get on   But of course there should be a back-up plan. My mother would be able to cover...
The flowers are all wired and then fashioned into sprays. As far as I can make out there is a large one for the top tier which goes over the edge of the tier. Then there is one spray with 4 large flowers starting at the topp of the second tier (seen from the top). A smaler spray with 2 large flowers and at the bottom is another large spray.   You can start with the flowers now and bind them into sprays once they are complety dry (2-3 days depending on humidity). Then...
I just moved into my dream storefront 2 monts ago I had a smaller shop down the street and then my new place became available. It is right in the middle of a high traffic pedestrian zoe, in the heart of town. I actually rent a whole house but of course it is sandwiched between others. It was built in 1870 and has veeeery high ceilings and lots of exposed beams. Historical front with fluted columns. 2 floors offer 32 seats plus the shop area directly in front of...
I freeze baked cupcakes all the time, no problems there. They will be thawed in about 10 minutes. Have fun!  
Ganache sperately, then stack. Impossible to get them smooth when they are stacked. Fondant also needs to be applied before stacking. HTH!  
Uh oh, how I hate mini cakes... I did several weddings with mini cakes last year. No matter how much I charge, it is never nearly enough.   I usually start at around $ 10 for the round ones, for these I would charge 15 $ as well, plus the top cake. For me that would be $ 1120 plus delivery.  
I also give the the complete quote. If it is an elaborate cake or if they ask about very time consuming options, I always give them an indication of how long it will take to carry out a certain task. They either then decide to leave this part off the cake or they book and pay the price without any discussion. This works very well for me as my customers understand that my time will cost them ;-)
Kirsch is an essential ingredient for Black Forrest Cake. You use it in the cherry compote and in the whipped cream. It should give flavour but not actually taste of alcohol.  
I do mainly wedding cakes and other stuff only off season when I have time and am inclined :-)  The first year cakes were only part of my business so it was fairly quiet (about 3 cakes per month). The second year I was fully booked for most weekends during wedding season, but it was slow in winter. Last year I had to turn away almost as much business as I was able to take on and I am also busy during winter. Going into the fourth year now, January bookings are almost...
    Difficult, I loved a lot of cakes I did this year. Unfortunately I recently broke my camera and only have a few pictures  I can choose from. This cake has it flaws (the picture is horrible) but I loved the elegant simplicity of it.   Happy 2013 to all of you!