Posts by Spectra

Good points! But CostumeCzar is correct with what I want to sell. I have thought about it and realized if I want to focus on celebration type cakes suburban is the way to go, but I want to actually get away from that and focus on the gourmet style cupcakes and cookies, with coffee. In the spring, summer, and fall, our downtown is the place go be with tourists and the city folk who love go support local businesses. Weekends, all year round, see almost as much traffic...
Lol, you mean all those retirees weren't coming to your pizza place after bar hopping?
Haha, so true! And we are a campus town, so that would work! Ha!
Thank you both! And what you said Costumeczar made me realize my husband was right, dang it! I was worried about parking and such that I guess I overlooked the bigger market of all those office workers. Thanks again!
Hi all, I'm in a debate with my husband as to which location would be better for a dessert bakery shop. So specializing in gourmet cupcakes, a few cakes, and decorated cookies, to either pick up or have a few tables to eat in and have coffee. The city I live is not very big, 55,000 in city limits, and prides itself of buying local, Farmers Markets, etc. downtown is where you have the foot traffic from government offices, and other businesses. So that is option #1. Find a...
Thank you Liz! I love playing with stencils. When I started my prices were a bit higher, but nobody seemed to want to bite. It's hard when I have nothing to compare to in this city except Starbucks :/
Lol, Stitches, no, sorry, I meant for a double batch, 60 cookies, average. Though usually we are making the 3" cookies. Definitely bringing in more than min wage. I've seen the decorated cookies at Christmas time at Starbucks, 3" snowman this past year, and they were selling them for $2.50 not bagged. I've seen the big 4" cookies go or $6, but I hardly ever make that size due to the price. Some of my 3" cookies would go for $3.75 due to lots of detail. I definitely agree...
Well for a $2.00 cookie my actual cost, overhead, ingredients, etc, is around $0.50 per cookie. My time depends on the type of cookies, but more elaborate the higher the cost. $2 cookie usually is talking me 5-6 hours from start to finish on average. So I do make a profit, but I agree that it wouldn't be worth doing wholesale for a dozen cookies or something. But it would be nice to see my name get out there more. I could never sell a 2" cookie for $4.00 anyway. No one...
Thanks for all the replies! We do hand decorated cookies, and size can range between 2" and 4". We sell them for the $1/inch usually. I live in a small city of 55,000 in Atlantic Canada and we are the only ones who make these type of cookies, but the community we live in is big on local businesses. We rent a kitchen, but no storefront, so this would be a great opportunity to get our name out there more. I like the formula, gives me an idea of a straight percentage to aim...
Hey everyone, I've been approached by a shop who wants to sell my cookies, as I currently don't have a store front. Of course they expect a discounted price, and I can put my business info on each cookie bag, but I have no idea how much of a discount I should give them. I am hoping someone here could offer their expertise, please?