Posts by CakesbyMichele

Hi.  How would you stack this cake?  I'm most concerned about the bling layers below the 3 top tiers.  Is this done with styrofoam covered with bling?  If it is styrofoam, does it need to be doweled or will it support the weight of the cake.  If not styrofoam, what is the best way to stack this?   Thanks!    
If I made a cake that looked like building blocks is that considered a copyright violation?  I don't plan to write Lego or anything on it but is just having the blocks considered a copyright violation?
Thanks for the help/responses.  To answer mbalaska - we originally planned to continue using my current rental for just pick ups/consults but since her rent went up significantly this year, mine did too and she can't drop it for my less time there because then she can't afford her rent!  Plus, we are moving to a more rural area that will be much more difficult to find then my current location.  I guess I will try to find someone that may let me use their space for minimal...
There will be a separate door to the kitchen so that's not the issue.  It really comes down to him not wanting strangers knowing where we live and coming to the house.  He's pretty adamant about this so I'm kind of in a corner with this. I keep telling him they are just coming to get a cake; not to kidnap us!
Hi Everyone,   I'm currently renting space but am going to be putting a 2nd kitchen in my house by summer/fall.  It will only be a kitchen and my husband does not want anyone coming to the house for pick ups and consults.  Where do people go that have this situations?  I'm trying to figure out a place that I could have consults and pick ups that's not at my home but I'm at a loss of where.  I really don't want to continue paying rent a my current space once I have my own...
Also, I don't see many websites where people are defining their 'base price'.  Just stating the base price starts at $xx and price will go up depending on design which is what I was doing also.
I had my base price covering the basic stuff (hourly wage, cost of cake, utlities, shopping, clean up time, etc.) but I like your suggestions and I think I'll add a border/simple decoration and increase the base price so I won't run into the issue above again.   Also, how does everyone handle real ribbon?  Is this a charge you incur for the bride or do you have the bride purchase?
I recently met with a bride that wanted a cake with real ribbon and real flowers on it.  I told her the cost would be $3.75 per serving.  My base price starts at $3.  She emailed me back the next day all upset that the cake wasn't $3 per serving.  She wanted to know what that 'extra' money was for since she was purchasing the flowers and ribbon.  I told her it was labor for having to prepare the ribbon to go on the cake, put the ribbon on, contact the florist, put the...
Oh, I did tell her how I could make it look nice for her.  I didn't 'compare' myself to the other decorator.  I don't want to put anyone else's work down at all.  The bride didn't ask for a 5 tier.  Once this other person suggested a 3 tier would look 'stumpy' she wanted my opinion on whether a 3 tier would look 'stumpy'. I told her it really comes down to the look that she wants (as the 5 tier would be very narrow) and that we could look at pictures of different sizes to...
I have a wedding consult set up next month with a bride.  She emailed me a picture last nightof a cake she likes and wanted to know if 3 tier was going to look to 'stumpy' as another cake decorator told her it would.  The decorator told her she could do the cake as a 5 tier so it wouldn't look 'stumpy'.  The bride needs the cake to feed 115!  I was floored when I read this post!  Granted, I include the whole cake in my serving size as I do an anniversary coupon, but even...