Posts by Elcee

Virginia has an ICES chapter. http://www.icesvirginia.com/   I've made great cake friends by becoming involved in my chapter.
Sometimes. But if I don't want to, I just string them along, telling them I'll email it to them. They rarely ask twice. Most of the time, people are asking just as a form of flattery and an have no intention of ever making the item, anyway.
You'll be fine!
I agree with JWinslow, your skills are beyond amateur. If there are links to pictures from past shows, it would be beneficial to look at the those to see how you compare to others in the different categories.
Yes, absolutely check with the show's organizers about what division to enter. I was the chair of our local cake show for the past two years. If you asked me that question, I would have you do the next division up, since you started in 2011, even if you didn't make that many cakes during that time.   As for tips, read the rules really carefully. Make sure your work is as clean and neat as possible. Use as many techniques as you can and still have an appealing design....
Try reducing the sugar a bit, just a tablespoon per cup.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/57414359054/   The Colorado ICES Chapter has a Facebook group. You may have some luck there.
Thank you, brenda549, I think you explained a little better than I did.
  I was just pointing out the flaws in the logic of the example Enga posted. I use the Wilton serving guide and that's how I price my cakes. So, no matter how many servings the customer chooses to get from it, a cake the size that Enga posted, is going to cost 768.00 if I charge 6.00 per Wilton serving (I don't, but that's the example in use). Say a 20 ounce soda costs $2.00. It contains 2.5 servings so the price per serving is .80. If you choose to consume it in 1.5...
I think I have a problem with your math, Enga. A 6", 10", 14" cake is going to cost $768 regardless of whether it is 128 Wilton-sized servings or 103 Earlene-sized servings. 128 x 6.00 = 768.00768.00 / 103 = 7.45 Why? Because larger serving size = larger price.