Posts by cakesnglass

I was once told: The only way to get better at something is when you make a mistake, you are then forced to correct it, and so this is how we learn. Repetition creates "perfection" (don't know about that, does perfect really exist?). It takes making 100 roses before our hand eye coordination kicks in (told to me at Wilton school in Chicago many years ago). Lessons I have learned= Planning is Everything. Drawing out a sketch with colors if possible helps in visualizing your...
The bakery I worked at had it's regular "quick designs" that fill the case for those last minute pick ups some customers need. Then when orders come in you were allowed to come up with your own ideas. Seasonal cakes we usually were given pictures for the basic cakes for that season (to keep cost and decorating time appropriate). Make sure you don't have any jewerly rings, watches, bracelets. This is a requirement of Health Dept. inspectors and yes clean trimmed no polished...
If you do not want to make them using just gumpaste, try adding Tylose powder to your fondant. A good pinch to a small baseball size should work. I really like Tylose gumpaste from Designmeacake.com recipe. I make MMF and add 50/50 MMF/Tylose gumpaste once mixed let rest at least 4hours or overnight in the frig. take out let come to room temp. and ready to color and create. Good luck, have fun!
If experience is what your looking for and learn the business an established bakery is the place. First thing to remember is that they need to make a profit. Remember this is not your personal name on each cake like you would do in your home. You must have some speed and try to keep your work as "clean" looking as possible. Nice crisp borders and smooth icing on cake. Make sure you try to keep your work area clean and orderly as you work...bags, together, tips together...
I have used the 1-1-1 cake release for years, great stuff. I mix in the mixer get nice and creamy and put in a plastic container in the frig. When you need it just apply with a brush ( good pastry brush use only for this purpose stored in a plastic baggy in the frig.) and your ready to bake... Great for casseroles or anytime you need a non-stick in your pans.
I live in a very warm climate and have always added heavy whipping cream to my buttercream as my liquid. I do add little salt too (so I will dissolve)in the cream, I like to warm (in Micro) till warm then add to my butter/hi-ratio shortening. I find my icing is much creamier and less air pockets when liquids are warm. I have also tried warm water mixed with powdered creamer ( saw in video) and liked the results, I did add 1tblsp of dry whip topping to my sugar when I used...
Making a buttercream recipe with shortening only and adding some meringue powder should hold up well in a cool dark space (closet shelf). I would not recommend freezing.
Hello, I live in Fla. and have had better luck with freezing my cakes overnight with a crumb coat, taking out the next morning and letting them thaw on counter in a very cool a/c room. Once to room temp I apply buttercream (not very thick) and smooth well. Put in freezer about 5 to 8 min. no more (or I get lots of air pockets) apply fondant. I don't know if its the condensation from the freezer but my MMF does not work well with very cold cake.
Mi espanol no esta muy bueno, pero si quieres ponerle color a MMF se le agrega al punto que esta desretida el marshmallow ante de unir con la asucar en polvo. Puedes separar la cantidad que tu cres que te aga falta. El color con MMF se aclara quando reposa asi que un poco mas oscuro de lo que te hace falta. El rojo y negro debes de comprar de Satin Ice no vale la pena hacerlo. Use los colores de pasta or gel (gelatina?) no de liquido porque eso te cambia la textura de el...
Great tip, thanks