Posts by cakesnglass

My turrets are a little different (my pics) but the technique works the same. I use exterior of caulking tube. (hubby's) used Edna designmeacake. gumpaste (recipe on her site) covered them in clear plastic wrap greased slight,rolled out the dough rect.cut to size and laying the tube at one edge rolled it up trimmed excess and closed seam with tylose glue. Let dry 1 hr. and slowly twisted each to make sure they would not stick and then let dry overnight. removed from tubing...
have you thought of making a gumpaste plaque and working on that? Depending on the detail of your design you can paint with straight food gels/lemon or vodka as a thinner, color flow onto it and just attached it to the buttercream with some melted chocolate works well. I mostly work in buttercream and find this helps with detailed projects. Making a cutout stencil of each piece(like a puzzle) out of fondant/tylose and cutting out the pieces and then putting them together...
I second Leah_s
The best advise that has worked for me is to set a minimum price. It does matter where we live and what others are charging for a similar cake. I do not take many cake orders (work full time) so I make nothing smaller that an 8" double layer buttercream frosting and filling, basic decorations (add costs from there depending on design) at $50.00. Telling someone a minimum up front lets them decide if you are in there budget they decide right then and there and no time is...
Try adding some gumpaste to it or tylose powder to firm it up abit.
Nail works great! For the sticking bottoms try wax paper cut to size. Not only will it prevent sticking your tops will be nice and flat. (prepare your sides as you usually do).
I have one in my photos I made this year. The nurses have an emblem and I copied it onto cake. Let me know if you need and info. Good luck
If you've owned your tips for many years, sometimes the narrow end of the tip closes slightly from storage. Slightly opening the end will help. Kakeladi suggestions will really help. I also love the ragged edge on buttercream flowers, lovely.
I saw a very similar cake on a forum post: she used poured chocolate ganache allowed to dry in frig and did scroll decor after.
Many many years ago I took classes at Wilton (chicago) and in Fl. with Roland W. Here are 2 recipes i've saved fro years hope it helps. Boiled icing for figure piping:3c. granulated sugar,2/3 c. of water.1/4 tsp.cream of tartar: cook these ingre. till 234 f.in mixing bowl : 4Tblsp. meringue powder,2/3c lukewarm water and 1 1/4 c sifted-powder sugar.beat the meringue with warm water until peaks form-add powdered sugar beata on med. till well blended. To this add the cooked...