Posts by mfruchey

Haha. I posted before reading the thread and didn't notice that Roxane had posted. Hi! 
A friend of mine and I have been working with Senator Ward on this. The bill has been drafted in a very simple form at this point in anticipation of requests for more restrictive amendments. We don't want to restrict anything that they don't care about!   It passed the Senate Health and Welfare committee, but just barely!   A big part of the problem is that we have 'Associations' against us and no united front for home bakers.    As a result, I have posted...
Today, Louisiana's Cottage Food Bill, introduced by Sen. Rick Ward, passed the Senate Committee of Health and Welfare...but just barely. It still has to pass the Senate floor, the House committee, and the House floor. And our opposition has fancy names like 'Restaurant Association'. I know, right?   We just want what's already legal in many states: to be able to LEGALLY sell nonperishable home-baked goods.    If any fellow Louisianians see this, WE NEED YOUR...
Oh my goodness. Yay! My Rapunzel cake from a couple of years back is in today's newsletter!   I am lucky if I get two 'likes' on Facebook for my work most of the time, so this is a huge deal for me!   Been feeling down on my skills lately, so this was a very nice pick-me-up.    http://cakecentral.com/b/tangled-cakes-top-saved
Are you using straight-up fondant? I'd recommend some/all gumpaste in there to get it nice and stiff. Like others mentioned, you can make them way in advance if you are storing properly, but for those last-minute cakes, I've had no trouble with making mine the night before, either (though I am making them out of 100% gumpaste...).
Re: bubbles, SMBC! I will never use AMBC for icing cakes ever again. Then again, I am also a recent ganache-under-fondant convert.
Thanks for y'all's help. Makes me feel much better!
Hi, everyone. I have my first wedding cake due next Saturday, 11/24, and I am trying to work out my time frame in advance to make things go as smoothly as possible.   I am relatively new to both filling with SMBC and covering a cake with ganache, but my practice cakes have turned out beautifully, so I will be using these techniques for the wedding cake.   I plan to bake on Monday and then freeze. Ideally, I would fill the cakes early on Thursday, allowing for...
Hi, everyone. I am a home baker who has been going at this for a few years now and am trying to dig myself out of this comfort-zone rut I've found myself in as of late.I only bake for family and friends, and, while I enjoy baking, I much prefer the decorating side of things as that's where I feel the most creative. For the sake of saving time and money (since I can't charge for what I do), I typically bake from the Durable Cake for 3-D recipe (which I enjoy as it's very...
FromScratchSF lists a pumpkin variant to her popular white cake on her blog. I'm not a fan of pumpkin, so I haven't tried it, but the white cake is delish!