Posts by amywood20

Hello, My husband has asked me to make a cake for his office. I am attaching a photo of what he is wanting. How would you go about getting the 3-d effect? I am going to carve the cake in the shape of this design but didn't know how to get the top part of have the slanted look to it, if that makes sense. I can cover it in whatever I want (i.e. buttercream or fondant). I did think about airbrushing the gold so I could get the color effect of the shading but wanted to see...
Thanks everyone. I feel better now and it seems to be holding. Yea!
And the sad thing is the people we make these cakes for will never appreciate the stress we put ourselves through in order to get that "perfect" cake, which I personally think does not exist. 
I hate to add anymore stitches to the cake, as she gave me a very specific photo to go off of. The shower is at the home of the gal (young gal who probably won't even notice what I see) and I will politely suggest she keeps it in the fridge until right before the shower starts. It stayed ok during the time I had it out to decorate so I imagine it will be okay throughout the baby shower before they cute into it. The customer is a sister of a gal I used to work with, so...
This is the cake. Notice the right hand side on the bottom tier. I know it looks like an air bubble but it's not. That's where the icing is in the middle. Other spots like that on the back of the cake. Same with the top tier. This is the design the customer wanted, otherwise I would cover it even more with buttons to mask it. LOL.       
I leveled the top and even cut all of the sides to ensure it was straight up and down. So you think it will be ok? My fingers are crossed!
I'll have to try that next time. For now though, I am just trying to figure out what I might be waking up to in the morning and hoping someone else has had the same thing happen and maybe could tell me if the fondant held. :0)  It held over night last night, but since it was out at room temp for awhile today, it seems it was softening up and that worries me. Like I said, back in the fridge. 
I have a fondant covered cake with the dreaded icing ring around the middle showing some. I did all of the things everyone says to do, using a dam, letting it settle overnight with something on top of it, etc. Dam must not have been stiff enough. Anyway, what's done it done and I cannot start over as there is not enough time. The worst part of the ring has become the back of the cake (it's for a baby shower-paid job). I have the cake in the refrigerator (I put all cakes...
Strange, as I just copied it. The image is there but you have to get to it a different way it seems. I am attaching it.      
Hello everyone - I am making a cake a client found online. I have done some pricing for it and want to see what you guys and gals think. It will be a 6 inch and 9 inch covered in fondant. I am attaching a link to the photo of this button cake, which they are using for a baby shower. They plan to cut the pieces a bit large, as it will serve 18 people (I know, that's a lot of cake for 18 people). Anyway, I was thinking of charging $115. I have the Cake Boss software so I...