Posts by kiwigal81

This is such a great thread, as a noob I always wanted to know how much was a 'regular' amount of filling or icing to put between layers and outside. Thanks heaps!! I wish there were more 'inside' pics out there!
prterrell, could you please post the link to that page?
Yep you can torte a sheet cake to give the 2 layers, but the way I made my cake, and I think how most are done, are two cakes torted and filled, or some combination so that you get 4 layers of cake and three of filling inside, then the frosting. So when you cut it, some people get the 4 layer wedding cake, 4 inches high, nice ratio of cake to filling/frosting, and the others would get the less elegant 2 layers with fillling and frosting. I think you do two sheetcakes...
Good for you! Well, in support, my third cake (not just third stacked, or third big, just third decorated cake) was a 3 tier wedding cake and it went well. I've been disappointed in my cakes ever since, lol. Ok, we don't get the straws or SPS here so I used dowels. I tell you this: if you are using dowels, have one of those windey pencil sharpeners at hand, and if you aren't good with a saw, someone to cut them or something electric. I sawed that thing for ages before...
Sorry I can't read the whole thread, I may be too late: what about putting fondant over it? Or just using it as a filling?
Good luck!
Don't know how long it takes to dry, and havne't tried it but from what I've read, it doesn't stay sticky, the shine happens because the heat from the steam causes the sugar to caramelise a little, giving the shine. Can also use cooking spray. HTH. Oh, and in recipes, there is a recipe for edible varnish. On here, CC recipes.
http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/07/project-wedding-cake-the-cake-is-baked/has the recipe mentioned above.If you go to spotlight (tabs at top of the page) and look at Indydeb, she has a bc that is meant to be great. We dont get some of the ingredients here so I can't try it but hear it's great. I use 100g butter (1/2cup) beat till soft, add flavour (essence, vanilla, lemon juice, melted choc, cocoa) and then add 1lb of icing sugar, I add about 1c at a time, when it gets too...
I personally find the IMBC less sweet than reg bc, or a ganache with very dark choc, the stuff that isn't that sweet to begin with, or a creamcheese bc with not too much icing sugar?
In no way is this meant to sound abrupt or mean, however, I have only these shapes on a screen and it's late.No-one can tell you what to charge. You need to sit down and price out all your costs, and work out your price per serving, look at your time, and look at what you want to make. It differs by country, state, town, clientele, skill level, type of cake/filling/frosting/decoration...the list goes on. That having been said, if you ask about profiting illegally from...