Posts by jenebnell7

So, I searched and I saw a post about this that was about 2 years old, but nothing recent. I was just wondering if anyone had any recent experience teaching a course so that the girls could earn a badge. I found the Wilton site that has a "Wilton Icing Fun" lesson plan, but nothing really that says it's for sure for Girl Scouts. Also, they provide a picture, saying it's a patch, but it's nothing you can order. You just have to have them printed professionally and take...
So, I've been asked to make a cake for a fundraiser for a non-profit organization. Their theme is "The Magic of a Smile." They want the colors to be black & white, with their signature colors of violet and light green. Any ideas? There is a black bow tie on the invitation and the inside of the envelope is violet with white polk-a-dots. It's a "cocktail attire" party, so I want it to be sophisticated, not kiddy. Help! TIA!
So, I've been asked to make a cake for a fundraiser for a non-profit organization. Their theme is "The Magic of a Smile." They want the colors to be black & white, with their signature colors of violet and light green. Any ideas? There is a black bow tie on the invitation and the inside of the envelope is violet with white polk-a-dots. It's a "cocktail attire" party, so I want it to be sophisticated, not kiddy. Help! TIA!
So, I'm about to get started on a cake for Friday. It's actually two seperate cakes, but they are being presented together on one large wooden base. Anyway, I just had the thought this morning that there is no way I'll be able to make one of them becase it's a Red Velvet cake with cream cheese icing. The cakes will be covered in fondant and then hand painted, so I didn't want to put them in the fridge because of the way moisture affects painted cakes. I am baking the...
LOL...good for you!! Hope that you do great and that your county isn't the same as mine. Like I said before....last year in the county I was in, they were great. They actually reached out to local bakeries to get judges...that way they knew they were getting the right results! If you don't know about what you are judging...you have no right to judge!! Anyway...good luck!
Thank you everyone for your support. I know I was wronged...and yeah it's just the county fair, but it's still like a slap in the face. Anyway...I called the fair offices a little while ago and told them that I wanted to lodge a complaint about the judges. They took all of my information and said that they would give it to the lady that supervises the Home Arts section of the fair. We will see if she calls me back.
Yes...this is exactly why I do fairs. The prize money is no big deal, but I just started doing cakes a couple of years ago. I'm not ready to enter my stuff in big shows because I don't feel like I'm ready, so I do little stuff like this. Plus, I wanted a new dummy cake, so I made the large tiered one for that purpose. The volunteer that I talked to was around my age...she said that the only way to get the judging changed, is to become a judge myself so that I can...
LOL...my sister said just about the same thing. But since I do a lot of hand painting, she told me to do a sheet cake with Jesus' face painted on it.
I did come across one girl, looked about my age, and her husband walking through the exibits. They were also looking totally confused at my cake. At that moment I was taking pictures of them, (my evidence, lol), so I told them they were my cakes. She goes, "Yeah...there is some shady stuff going on...that's why I quit volunteering here. Last year was my last year."
This is what everyone is saying on my facebook page. The fact that they are all older women....they like what they like...forget which is actually best.