Posts by roxie007

Doing a tiered fake cake for my first time..i have covered cake dummies with fondant before so I am not worried about that, however the bride has requested a slice of real cake in the bottom tier, for the cake cutting ceremony.I was going to just slice out a piece of the styrofoam, and place a slice of real cake in place of it...can anyone give me some tips on this??She has sent a pic of a gorgeous cake (attached) for inspiration - i have let her know that I cannot (and...
Quite often you can substitute regular flour with a combination of potato starch flour, white rice flour, and tapioca flour- it makes for a nice soft texture (other gf flours can be gritty).GF all purpose flour is good too, but I still mix in some of the above to soften it out.Best way to do it is just try out the substitutions you like the best, using your favorite recipes.Make sure to use pure vanilla, and cocoa that is gf as well.Bob's Red Mill makes a nice GF flour, as...
While I'm not an expert, I often use RI for cookies, and use the Wilton recipe (3 tbsp of meringue powder) and 1lb icing sugar, approx 5 tbsp of water (check their website, I cant' quite remember), and it works very well at the thicker consistency.I had a pastry chef once show me RI with real egg whites and it seemed much more appropriate for piping on a cake.You can really play around with how much icing sugar you add, just keep working it to find the right consistency-...
Thanks everyone for the excellent tips!!Cheers
I also hate it when the cornstarch stains my cakes...I just try and keep the one side perfect, and keep the cornstarch side down...if some ends up on the top of the cake I use a little ball of fondant and rub the area, usually works pretty well, almost like an eraser.Or I brush it off with a little brush..Except it was pretty hard to manage when I used black fondant last week!Hope that helps!
Thanks! Bubble tea straws that is an excellent idea! I have a bunch of cookie sticks...they are a bit thin, but I think they'll do the trick!Thanks for the reply- I always wondered how people could keep the board from sticking out...cause my cake always shrinks a bit!Cheers
I have two cakes to pull off this week, and I haven't had much experience with stacking cakes...any advice you can give me on the cake boards to use for the stacked cake (not the bottom cake), I have cardboard cake boards, what should I cover this with for the 2nd & 3rd cake...and what if the cake shrinks and the 6" round cake is smaller than the 6" round board...should I trim the cake board so it doesn't peek out?Any 'stacking' tips you can provide would be GREAT!
This was also driving me nuts and it only seems to happen with my recipes that call for lots of good old fashioned butter.The cake taste fantastic, but peel completely away from the liners (no matter how long I give them to cool).Swapped the real butter (which is usually my preference) for vegetable oil, and it hasn't happenned since.The recipes that require real butter I find make a better, denser cake, while the ones that use oil, make a better cupcake (esthetically...
I'm no pro, but I did a 6 inch red velvet cake with cream cheese icing filling and crumb coat, then covered with homemade MMF.The cake turned out wonderfully, and everyone enjoyed it.It also stayed out for a day before it was picked up and consumed.I wonder if people warn against this since you can't refrigerate the cream cheese filled cake once its been covered in fondant?In my opinion there is enough sugar in the icing to keep it from harming anyone.But again I'm no expert!
Going nuts! My cupcake liners all come away after cooling.It seems to only be for the vanilla & lemon flavors, and not for the chocolate ones.They come away from the liners, and by the next day they have almost come away completely- it looks awful.Any tips on preventing this?Has anyone tried putting a bit of flour in the liners beforehand?Help!