Posts by cakelady2266

I'm not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth but this is a little weird. I didn't have a wedding scheduled for this year until March 24th. I've done 4 weddings this year that weren't on the book until 3 weeks or less before the event. Two of these weddings were for 200 plus servings and not just spur of the moment things. They didn't have decorators who fell ill or anything, they simply hadn't looked for one.In all the years I've been doing this nobody waits this...
There is the starting at price then as things are added (filling, non basic flavor, intricate design) then the price goes up. So part of making the intricate design is the purchase of the stencils then pass the full price on.I didn't love stencils, because you are stuck with the size they are and there is no wiggle room. If you think you can reproduce the design with the cricut cake then that would be something you would use again and again. An investment. Some places...
I made friends with mine. I love it for letters and numbers. I have done several cakes with the damask pattern and I love it because unlike stencils you can make it be what ever size you want. The trick is to roll fondant thin (Wilton's is great for this because it is firmer and cheap) freeze it for about 10-15 minutes. Have you machine set before you take it out. Cut out designs on high speed at medium pressure. This prevents drag and tearing. For intricate...
When I started getting a lot of request for the rough/rustic/stucco iced cakes I thought WTH!!! Well sure it's easy money (and I do mean easy) I shouldn't complain but I don't understand paying that kinda money for something that looks like my 13 year old son iced. Oh and the bling with rustic, yep had a few lookers but thankfully they rethought it. It truly is lipstick on a pig.
HobbyCaker, yall speeking my kinna langwedge. Goes to show you can take the girl out of the south but you will NEVER take the south out of the girl. And that's a mighty fine lookin' stump.dawnybird, this is what my youngest son says "well bless their hearts, they mean well, God love em." Looks like I raised him right.
SammieB...now don't you all go agettin yer feathers ruffled. Wye afor long you be able to tipe all sorta fancy thangs. FromScratchSF...paddle faster. I'm afraid rustic is here for a while. I've had a dozen calls in the past week wanting "county chic" what is that anyway? I'm guessing it involves stumps and mason jars. Next time I encounter another whomper jawed, cattywampus stump there better be some "shine" in one of them mason jars for the cake lady.
Karema, good for you. At some point we all had to just take charge. Set minimums on things like cookies, cupcakes, cake pops, etc...I have less hassle with weddings. These birthdays are the PIMA. A couple years ago this woman ordered her daughters 1st birthday cake from me. Over the next 4 months she sent me 75 emails that included pictures of cakes, zebras, party invitations, and outfits the child would be wearing AND that doesn't include phone calls just to go over...
carmijok, I know but I didn't want to sound all high falutin'. I'm a simply country girl. dawnybird, it was sorta cattywompus on that one side.Well beins how I's allready done got thar with the cake. I's shorely bumfuzzled when I laid eye on that thar stump. It was the most whomper jawed cattywampus mess I'd seed in a month of sundeys. Ida clare I's gonna have a conniption. So's I figgered they wus tetched in the head thankin that confound stump was gonna work. Bless...
Absolute scam. I got the same email a couple weeks ago.
I call these "war stories." If you've never had something like this happen to you personally you don't think it ever will, until it does. And when it does it's all fingers on the keyboard, and "oh no what do I do with this customer?"The "assumptions" about this type client comes from those of us with YEARS of experience. Those of us who have bent over backwards to do everything humanly possible to fulfill the order, only to have it blow up in our faces. Believe it or...