Posts by cakelady2266

While I was putting yalls advice to work I got to thinking and the more I thought the madder I got. A florist work is showcased all through out the wedding, at the ceremony and reception, and they have dominion over their work. The cake at the reception is the only work I have to showcase and I should have dominion over it. Why in the hell does the florist need to have any dominion over my cake? It's just a flower, the florist didn't create the flower itself, didn't...
I wedding vendor friend of mine had this happen to them. The reason for this was some of the wedding vendors in a neighboring city got tired of brides hiring vendors from other areas and taking away what they thought should be their business. So they pushed for this law to be enforced. I'm sure these vendors have higher overhead being as many of them were storefront business, so they charged higher prices for their goods than vendors in the surrounding area. Therefore...
I've got a little situation I need advice on. I have a wedding coming up and was finalizing the details with the bride when she tells me the florist insist on putting the flowers on the cake. In my contract it states I will place/arrange any and all flowers on the cake. The bride read and signed the contract 7 months ago and has a copy. So what is the best way to handle this situation?
I've been on the website before but I didn't love it enough to join. How did you find your pictures on there? I doubt that any of mine would make the cut but how could I find out?
If they have only "seen" your cakes and haven't tasted them then yes you need to take some sort of sample.
How many people does it need to serve? Unless you need to serve hundreds of people then single layer sheet cakes work best. It is also easier to serve and takes up less room on a plate. 2x2 is the normal serving size for single layer sheet cakes. A single layer 12x18 serves 50 people it is also called a 1/2 sheet. Unless you have a large oven you would need to make 2 of this size and put them side by side to have a full sheet cake. You can also stack them on top each...
Many, many years ago when I was starting out this is what I would do. If I was the one who made the contact and was trying to get on board as their cake person, I would bring a 2 layer 6 inch cake for them to try and as thanks for their time.If I'm being contacting by another vendor or venue that has tasted my cakes then no I usually wouldn't bring anything, except business cards and brochures.I no longer work with vendors who take the cake orders and send them to me. I...
I use hi ratio shortening instead of crisco. I took some getting used to but I love it. It doesn't have that greasy in the mouth feeling or taste. It holds up in great especially in the hot humid south even outside weddings when it's 105 in the shade. Use the same amount of hi ratio. Hi ratio shortening is firmer than crisco so you may need a little more liquid or flavoring. One thing I do know is it doesn't work well if the shortening is cold. Keep it at room temp or...
leah_s, thanks for the website, I'll pass the info along to the customers. I may have to purchase a few things for myself as well.
I don't doubt that some wedding magazine put this idea in their heads. I haven't had anybody ask for a discount or try to negotiate prices yet. But it seems like wedding suicide to wait around in hopes you could get it cheaper because the baker wasn't booked. Cutting it any closer would certainly be an up charge if anything. I watched one of those crazy wedding shows before where brides would whine, complain, insult or intimidate a vendor trying to get a discount or...