Posts by cakelady2266

And to further update.......Not only was the florist originally going to do the flowers on the cake she was also going to put sparkly ribbon on it. I was just to supply the cake and let the "real decorator" decorate the cake. I call bulls**t on that. The very idea chaps my butt.I'm going to alter my contract to state "I will place ALL items on the cake, no exceptions."
Update alert!!!!! I composed a well thought out full page waiver that was sheer poetry and emailed it to the bride. Much to my surprise I received this response "the florist won't be putting the flowers on the cake, she will be leaving the flowers for you to decorate with." So I won.
Thanks Jason. It just really is hard to watch someone stabbing flowers in a cake that I've spent hours on. I hate having all those nasty stems stuck in there. And they literally stab them in there like they were trying to kill something.
If the cake decor has characters that have copyrights then explain that you would be unable to reproduce it due to copyright infringement. Not 100% on the accuracy of that statement, but it sounds good.Tell her she will have to provide the characters.Price it so high that she wouldn't possible be interested. Or you could suggest an alternative without the gaudy plastic characters. Email her some pictures of your cakes. Maybe she doesn't know something better exist.
Update...I emailed the bride and explained my stand on the flower placement. I was very professional and polite, yall would have been so proud. So today she emails me back with this response, "I totally get what your saying about the flowers. I am meeting with the florist Tuesday and I will explain the situation to her. But just in case she still insist putting the flowers on the cake will you please email me a copy of the waiver?" Well damn it. The bride just needs...
Yep, that would be Alabama for you. Not only does the right hand not know what the left hand is doing, it is totally unaware of it's existence. And if one hand is ever made aware of the other hand it will plot against it.
When you get your swamp water bucket of rejects the florist was kind enough to leave, cut the wet stems off and find a sink and rinse off any funk that crawled upward. Dry off any excess water. Try to carry a bottle of water in your bag for the the occasion when there is no running water.Cascading flowers isn't too difficult. Start at the bottom of the cake and work your way upward. Use the heaviest (roses) and/or large flowers (lilies, orchids, gerber daisies) on the...
Any suggestions on how I word my response to the bride? I want to be professional but polite. And if she sends it to the florist I want her to read it and say "oh I get it, I've never thought of it like that"
I'm not sure why this rubbed me the wrong way today but it sure did. Maybe it was because it's on paper and has been signed off on. Granted the vast majority of florist are fine leaving flowers for me but there are the prima donnas want the whole thing to be about them. I've seen this with other type vendors as well. The cake isn't the center of the wedding but it is generally is the centerpiece of the reception. Folks don't usually see cakes that large or...
jgifford, nip it in the bud, lol. Jason, I'll calm down and handle it professionally. But for now I'm gonna froth. The flower clause in my contract came about after seeing several of my cakes poked to death. Or they leave a dent on it with their knuckle or something. And mine are buttercream cakes, so not that fun to try to smooth out. Before I started working in contracts last year, I was setting up a wedding cake when this florist insisted on putting the flowers on....