Posts by cakelady2266

If I never did another birthday cake it wouldn't break my heart.
I must take a moment to clarify.....I do all types of cakes and I have been for 21 years. Not occasionally but most every day. I own a bakery and I have a website. And my prices for cakes are clearly listed and states that cakes start at ___. I give a full disclosure. I explain it on the phone, in the email, and in person. No surprises, you know the base price coming in.My complaint is with the customers who do not understand that they can't get a wedding cake for...
Well I knew I couldn't be alone in this. I have seen cakes on Cake Central that should have been on t.v. or magazines. You all are so talented and such an inspirition.It just insulting when you have to justifiy your prices. Most of us have to sit for hours on end making little critters or whatnot to go on juniors cake. And sure it's great that we made somebody party special but we should get something out of it besides carpal tunnel. This is more than a just hobby to...
I called Sweetwise once looking for flavoring, I use Magic Line's Butter Vanilla and I get it by the gallon. They didn't carry anything that large and didn't know it came that large. I just thought since Nashville is larger than Huntville they would have stores that had everything. Found the same problem in Birmingham too.
Amen.....folks I swear. I did hear that Ace of Cakes minimum is $1000 and that was a basic cake. What kind of people pay that for basic cake? If people had any idea what goes into some cakes maybe I wouldn't be about to pull my hair out. I've been doing cakes for 21 years and back in the day cakes were not as far out there. Most people would ask for a character cake for kids birthdays or a sheet cake for a baby shower. But now that cakes are much more detailed and...
Well I guess I will have to go myself and see what all the hoopla is about.....maybe I won't be disappointed.
I go to Nashville a couple times a month but have never been to Sweetwise. What all so they have? I was very surprised that a city that size didn't have a lot of cake supply shops. Are there more in and around Nashville? I live near Huntsville AL. and I buy my supplies at Lynelles, she has tons of stuff and people come from over 100 miles in every direction to buy from her. If Sweetwise has more to choose from I will lose my mind and my budget.
This is driving me crazy!!! I'm not trying to disrespect all the cake shows and the popularity of cake in general but I going to lose it. Since the cake shows and competitions have become so popular everyone is obsessed with cake, which is great for business. Here is my problem..... people are wanting 3 or 4 tier birthday cakes with tons of work on them but they don't understand that they have to pay more than say $25 for a cake like that when they only want to serve 20...
I agree. I think when you are ordering a cake from someone you should see a real untouched photo of that persons work. When you see a photographers photoshopped picture fit for a magazine and then you see the real thing it a whole other cake.
OMG....I got an email from these scammers. I was contacted through the wedding wire that someone was wanting information about my services. I contacted the person back and told them they could view my website or contact me directly through email. I got an email and knew right away that something wasn't right. They wanted a 5 tier cake in fondant or buttercream to serve 300 with pink roses and Happy Married Life written on it, each tier boxed individually, to be picked...