Posts by cakelady2266

Crap I may have to go back to the drawing board on this whole contract wording thing. I used an example of a contract I found on CC. If the client pays 1/2 or whatever amount is collected for the deposit or retainer, then the balance is paid 30 days before event, AND the wedding is called off after the balance is paid, do you refund any or all the money? Just curious how that would be handled.The check for the $200 is already written, just waiting for an address or...
I emailed the bride earlier and told her I would be happy to return the additional $200 her father had paid. I'll be rewording the contract like QTCakes suggested. Plus including an actual non refundable dollar amount.
I apologize in advance for asking a dumb question and I'm not trying to start a war. I don't know a lot about Cottage Food Law so I may be speaking out of turn. But I have no doubt that I will be correctly informed once I click submit.If I understand correctly, bakers under the Cottage Food Law aren't inspected by the local health department, right? So will the health department continue to inspect existing permitted, licensed kitchens? If so, why? How has this law...
Hi ratio shortening will hold up better for a long transport. I use it all the time, it even holds up in high humidity and heat here in the south. It is also has a less greasy in the mouth feel than regular shortening.A softer type cake is another reason that buttercream iced cakes sometimes crinkle. The cake will settle as it sits after it's iced.A strong board is also a good tip.
The terms of my contract doesn't state $100 deposit, that is verbal. But I think I should change that immediately. Since it was going to be a $1000 worth of cake I should have ask for at least 1/3 upfront. Lesson learned. I have a feeling that this bride would have ask for money back even if the contract was worded differently and the required deposit was more.It wasn't stated on the contract itself, I wasn't sure if the whole $300 should be considered as a deposit or...
My contract is young and still learning, lol. The first line in my contract states "your deposit reserves your date and is non refundable." That seems pretty simple but now I find myself in a bit perplexed. Two months ago I met with a bride, her mother and father for 3 hours, the wedding date was May 12th. They left without making a deposit. The bride contacting me a couple weeks later stating that she would like to book me. I emailed her the contract and the amount...
Alabama doesn't have a Cottage Food Law. There is a proposal in the works now but it hasn't passed. Unless something has changed very very recently you can't sell baked goods from your home or any other unlicensed, non inspected, non permitted kitchen or structure.
I'm in Alabama and I have a licensed kitchen on my property that is not attached to my home. It wasn't easy to find a carrier that would insure me even unattached. Check with The Hartford, that's who I'm with.Hope this helps.
Sorry that happened to you. I know it didn't help that the father was screaming at you. I would give the bride a full refund. Although they had some cake to serve and something to display it still wasn't her dream cake.
When I get a call or email I always give them the "starting at price". So they know at that point whether it is in their budget. I also have a basic price list on my website. I only schedule meetings/tastings for weddings or anniversary cakes. Birthday cake meetings/consultations/tastings are completely out of the question. Maybe you could get some ideas of what they are wanting by phone or email, sketch up a few ideas and email it to them with prices. It would cut...