Posts by cakelady2266

I knew I couldn't be the only one with concerns. But for a few post there I was afraid I was gonna be lynched. I didn't know much about the CFL and since Alabama hadn't passed one yet I really wasn't too bothered. So when it came up I wanted to know how it would effect me. I'm not a storefront so there is nothing going out the door every minute of the day for me. Birthday cakes aren't money makers for me, since folks want Buddy the Cake Boss cakes at Wal-Mart prices. ...
Costumeczar.....Thank you so much for understanding how I felt when I posted my question. My main source of income is wedding cakes and not every year is a big as others. I more than understand what you are saying. Several of the venues in my area require permits, licenses and liability insurance. The weddings that are booked at those venues are usually larger and more profitable. I have become a preferred cake vendor of several of these venues. No, just because...
For some reason I can't get any of the links to open. I'll keep trying.
After I went to a link I found on here about CFL in Alabama, I'm more than confused. One article stated that the CFL baking and selling that is up for vote was for selling home baked goods in a farmers market setting without HD regulations. It didn't mention direct sale out of the bakers home for events. So is there different types of CFL's or was that an outdated article. And it's more than true that most of us started out as hobby bakers from home. I was just more...
Let me just clear up any confusion there may be. I never said home bakers (CFL or otherwise) were nasty, lazy, dumb or doing anything dangerous or unholy. I also never said I was opposed to it. I was the one who was dumb and asked a question. In my defense I also stated in the original post that I was asking a dumb question and I wasn't trying to start a war, you can go back and see. A simple "CFL bakers can't bake and sell the same things commercial bakers sell and...
Jason...I'm not complaining about market strategies or lack of work. I have both strategies and plenty of work. I think fairness to all is my issue. And as I recall you and I had a little debate last year about home bakers underselling and costing licensed bakeries income. You sang a different song then.Inspections aren't a big whoop for me although they do make my butt draw up in a knot. Alabama health inspectors do not schedule inspections like other states, it's a...
CFL food bakers and sellers wouldn't been as regulated and overseen as inspected bakers. But CFL can bake and sell for the most part like inspected bakers therefore creating a "double standard" because inspected bakers are keeping up to code and jumping through hoops. If baking and selling non inspected is allowed for some why not all. That is what I consider a double standard.And since there is no inspections for CFL bakers, then issues like... proper time and...
smbegg...I'm not making assumptions about anyone's knowledge concerning health codes or skill levels as bakers/decorators. I don't understand how all of a sudden it's okay for some bakers to sell food products from their homes especially without health department inspections. While those of use with inspected kitchens will still be under close scrutiny from state and local health departments. Seems like a double standard to me. As for some commercial kitchens being...
Well there I have it, I got the facts about the issue. Can't say I understand it or agree with it. But oh well.
I have a licensed, permitted, inspected commercial kitchen so I not waiting on it to pass to start a business. The CFL is being brought up in Alabama legislature now. I was just wondering how something like that works. From my quick overview, it kinda feels like this "under the CFL, a home baker can bake and sell til her hearts content without those pesky inspectors coming around, while those permitted kitchens will still be under the health departments microscope." ...