Posts by cakelady2266

I watched one the other day that was "baggage wars" not real sure I'd want somebodies dirty clothes that had been stuck in a suitcase for awhile. Nasty.
Costumeczar....glad I could brighten your day.QTCakes1....I got a million of them, remember I'm from the South.I love storage wars and I think it's great that they put a price on the stuff they sell. I don't see it happening for the cake show though. I hardly watch anymore but are they still really popular? But I promise one more email from "birthday mama" with a picture from Pink Cake Box or some of you ultra talented decorators on here, wanting a masterpiece for $25,...
Both of yall have more talent in your little finger than I have in my whole body...may I borrow a cup?
Custom cakes really means custom. QTCakes1 is completely on the money. There is no #8 and change the colors, in my world. A seemingly simply cake turns into something else when they want this cakes border, that cakes shape combination, this other cakes dots, another cakes stripes with the fondant animals to match the invitations.Now in theory picture examples with prices would be fine except most folks brains don't work that way. Their brains seem to overload easily....
I'm with Costumeczar, I'm a specifics driven pricer. I have the starting at price but I have to have the specifics in order to give them an accurate price. And since this pricing issues is mainly a birthday or party cake problem, I'm not overly eager to correct it.If you say something like this to a customer " the cake pictured will serve 30 people and will cost $75 but if you add something it will be __, or it will be __less if you take off the whatever. And if you...
I honestly don't think some people could find the information if it was in 8 foot tall letters with arrows and flashing lights. I'm not all that computer savvy but I can navigate most websites. I would think most everyone that was weaned on the internet should have a easy time getting to the information. But I think I'm giving too much credit. I'll get with my web designer and see what changes would help make my site more user friendly.
Jason...Athens is relativity small and has a couple of small, legal bakeries plus one Wal-Mart and one Publix. Athens city and Limestone county has a large amount of illegal bakers as well. So there is no shortage of bakers but there seems to be a shortage of people who care if their bakers are inspected. So you can get a cake from pretty much anybody with an oven.Huntsville is about 30 minutes away and is main source of wedding business for me. Huntsville city and...
Jason....I wish there was some way to show you the cake pictures and ideas I get emails on every day of the week. Here is one example of what I'm talking about. I got an email from a lady wanting a 3D gumball cake. I priced the cake at $250. The lady didn't want to pay that for the cake and I suggested she find a simpler design or another decorator. Oh no she wants that cake and me to do it. So I again tell her that will be $250. She again tells me she doesn't want to...
ChristineCMC....I have invested 23 years in cakes, 14 of which have been in my own legal shop. Yes I had my first years as I hobby baker then several years in a borrowed kitchen. What most bakers who do good work will find out once they start selling cakes they will have a following. It's sort of an avalanche effect. The friends of friends, the relatives and coworkers of friends, the relatives and friends of the coworkers of friends friends and so on. That will be the...
I do petit fours all the time and yes there is a secret. But being the generous soul I am, I'll share.These cakes are lighter than air with a very sweet icing so I never tort and fill them with anything. I don't think filling would work with my dipping method. Since petit fours are suppose to be bite size they aren't thick so it's best to bake them in a jelly roll pan. Use more batter than the pan size calls, so it will rise up well above the pan and you can cut the...