Posts by cakelady2266

Does anyone have the name of any other cake sites that I could possibly get help with my question about edible diamonds? 
I know this has probably been talked to death but here goes anyway.  I have a really blingy wedding cake coming up that will have about 150 to 200 edible diamonds, rhinestone ribbon with clear stones, rhinestone brooches and rhinestone monogram.  I have never worked with edible diamonds and can't afford to screw this up.  The cake picture the bride gave me the diamonds look very shiny and more like rhinestones than the clear edible sugar kind.  How can I get them to look...
I don't know how many photos you have to work with but this is an option. http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1809946.I printed out color copies of the pictures of grandma the family provided on a regular printer and attached them to fondant frames. Just a thought.
There is no shame in buttercream. Whether it is made solely with butter or not. I'm not a fondant lover but if that is what the customer wants then whatever they want to pay for is cool with me. In my personal experience of 23 years 99.9% of my customers prefer buttercreams and I don't think it's because they are ignorant or uncakely. Like with everything else cake, some are intent on reinventing the wheel. Let's torte it, fill it, ice it, ganache it and then fondant...
Sorry, maybe it's the flux capacator, I really don't know much about cake.
Some colors do this more than others. Wilton brand colors are the worst. Back when I used them I had a great looking cake then came back later and had either white spots or dark specks. This is something else that causes problems, over beating the icing will cause air bubbles that will result in bumpy icing with light colored spots.Hard shortening that doesn't break down and smooth out while mixing will also cause streaking. If it's not mixed well or if it's made with...
You can do a buttercream transfer. Print out a mirror image of the the logo, tape the image to a piece of cardboard cover the image in wax paper then outline and fill in regular buttercream icing, place in the freezer for about 30 minutes to an hour. Remove from freezer and immediately ice over image and surrounding area with regular buttercream, return to freezer for another 30 minutes to an hour. Make sure your cardboard and wax paper are the same size as the cake. ...
I vote Crisco is the culprit. But also just for kicks and giggles try using water instead of milk. Try hi ratio shortening instead of Crisco. It's also doesn't have that greasy feel in your mouth like regular shortening. There many occasions where the customer wants pure white icing, so using standard brown vanilla won't work either. And as quickly as you can toss that nasty Wilton's clear vanilla and try something else. I highly recommend Magic Line products...
If I had the slightest inkling it was gonna be this good on CC tonight I would have made popcorn.OP you were not wrong gifting the cake to your cousin. IF there had been any sole provider agreement or contract between the baker and the bride, the bride violated the bakers wishes, not you. IF there was such an agreement and you were aware of it then sidestepped it, that would be unethical. But you didn't know so don't beat yourself up over it.Jason, I am truly surprised...
I had the same blow up recently with a controlling florist. I typed up a page long waiver of responsibility that they were to chicken to sign. I don't know what the deal is with florist but if they want somewhere else to stick flowers then they should get themselves some more vases otherwise they can stick their flowers up their a**. Everything in the church and the reception venues already looks like a flower garden threw up on it. So why can't they leave our cakes...