Posts by Rachie204

thanks bakingangel~ I always use the plastic tube style dowels for my everyday cakes and usually use SPS for my wedding cakes. I have recently used the wooden dowels because the store was out of the plastic tube style. Since the cake was smaller than most of the wedding cakes I make (it was a 6 8 10) I figured I didn't need to bother with the SPS. I guess I was wrong. I didn't put the dowel through the center, I am under the impression the middle one that goes all...
thanks everyone for your responses....I have tried most of the suggestions in the past. I think I just need to keep trying I guess. I ended up having to use foam for the head of my dragon and was able to use cereal treats over the pvc for his neck. It isn't perfect but turned out okay. I will try and attach a picture...thanks
Before....
I am assuming a dowel slipped, but I may be wrong. I had my first wedding cake disaster this weekend....I will attempt to post before and after delivery photos. The cake was white almond sour cream with basic buttercream icing. I doweled each tier. It was maybe a 15-30 minute drive with a little sun and construction but not anything terrible. Any ideas?
cakeyouverymuch~ I have used both homemade cereal treats and this time the store bought Rice Krispie Treats....the royal icing is the one on the Wilton Meringue powder can... (4 cups powdered sugar, 6 table spoons water and 3 tablespoons meringue powder)
Everytime I try to use cereal treats they fall apart. I am using royal icing but the cereal treats fall apart before the royal icing even has a chance to dry. I am Trying to make a 3d carved dragon. The neck of the dragon is a pvc pipe and I am attempting to wrap the cereal treats around the neck but they just wont hold. Someone please tell me why? I see other people do this all the time, but I never have ANY luck. I have tried home made treats and store bought...
jgifford- Won't the sides of the sphere give since there is no support under them? It seems like there would be too much weight on the bottom middle and not enough support under the bottom sides. Does that make sense?
thanks for all your input! Your great ideas make me feel a little more confident that it will all be well. Can't wait to make the cake for our dear friends. Oh also, the first cake on this link below is the design we decided to go with. With simply strawberries. Super excited. http://www.bowtiesandbliss.com/2011/02/naked-wedding-cakes/
I have been asked to make a "naked" cake for a friends wedding cake. Similar to this http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/224000/old-time-favorites-strawberry-shortcake?czone=cakes%2Fwedding-cakes%2Fcakes-by-flavor¢er=272453&gallery=230928&slide=140668 Super simple I'm sure, my only worry is that the cake will be dry due to the sides being exposed to the air. Is that possible? My cakes are always super moist and delish, but then again they are usually protected...
Kate- LOL nope, I attended several high schools in Ga but that wasn't one of them Sweetnlow-I have absolutely no clue about video games, other than the face that the X-Box kinect is great fun LOL