Posts by mom2twogrlz

My friend just asked me to do a cake for her girlfreind's 40th birthday. We are meeting later this week to talk design, but I am drawing a blank. All she has told me so far is that she likes, teal, taupe, wildflowers, owls, and frogs. And we are looking at about 35 people.Any ideas on how to pull that all together and still look classy? Or should I ask her which is the most important and focus on that? I am afraid all those together will look like a 4 year old's party, not...
Yep, I love those things. I save all mine after my Costco fruit buys!!!
It is probably because your chocolate didn't get completely melted. This has happened to me before. Yes, you can melt it back down again and get it smooth, then let it set up again. good luck!
I feel you pain, and I am not even selling my cakes. I make cakes solely for friends and family, and they are free, since it is not yet legal to bake from home in CA. Well, after this last weekend, when I had two cakes to do, and a ton of mommy duties, which my husband had to do for me, I have decided it just isn't worth it right now. I love my hobby, but I love my family more. When my husband has to have the kids out of the house all weekend, on his only two days off, and...
Yes, thank you!
Maybe try a degreaser, like Simple Green or some vinegar might do the trick.
I don't see why you should trash them. It's not like anyone will be eating it, or anything that you use on it. Why waste free materials??? As long as they are clean enough for you to practice I say go ahead. Just trash any materials that have touched it after you are done practicing.
I use ganache to frost my cakes, but use a mousse or other filling, making a dam with the ganache to hold it in. That way you still have to lightness and richness at the same time.
I have done them a few times attaching onto a fondant covered cake, but like you said, I have seen it directly to the buttercream. I think you shoud do whichever you are more comfortable with. I personally don't work with buttercream all that often, mostly ganache and fondant. That is my comfort zone, so that is what I do. Do what you feel comfortabe with, since it seems both methods work.
I refridgerate ALL my cakes, and 99% of them are fondant, and I have never had a problem. I always stack then store, even if the party is for the next night. When I am done, I like to be done. As long as your support system is strong enough, it can remained stacked for days and never fall. The support system should be taking all the weight, not the cake.