Posts by tsal

Hi,   I was at a cake show recently and one of the vendors mentioned that most petal dusts are considered non-toxic but are not really to be consumed.  Same for pearl and metallic dusts.  I was just watching Joshua John Russell's Modern Piping course on Craftsy and he said to only use metallics sparingly as they do contain metals and could poison someone.  He said that they should not be used to cover a whole cake.   I see lots of cakes on here that have entire...
Hi,   I'm highly allergic to peanuts and nuts, and have always made my own sugar pearls from gumpaste and then painted them with pearl dust.  However, I plan to make a ton of cookies for the holidays for friends and family (and would like to save some time) so I'm looking for some nut free pearls.  I though that CK products were nut free but I just found a disclaimer on an affiliate website that said that their products could be manufactured on equipment shared with...
As long as you are *really* extra careful about cleaning and sanitizing your work area and you make sure that sick people stay away from the cake - it should be fine. If you are healthy, there is no reason not to proceed. If you do feel sick at all though, do not make the cake. I would not work on a cake while sick.
Hi,I am working on a Halloween cake that will have edible image appliques featuring the zombie from the rock band Iron Maiden. I'd like to make fondant frames for the appliques and I'm looking for ideas for the frames, as they should fit the theme and I'd love them to be scary as well.The tier will be covered in black fondant. I don't mind using black for the frames as they will still stand out somewhat, but I would like to texture them or add something to make them...
Thank you all for your replies! You have echoed what my gut was saying - to pass. I agree that although I would love to add another wedding cake to my hobbyist portfolio, this opportunity is not ideal time-wise (and I agree that it probably would end up costing me something).Thanks for your honesty - I'm going to tell her now.
Hi All,I'm a hobbyist. I was doing free cakes for friends and family for about 2 years and then I burned out several months ago. I have 3 kids under the age of 7 and one oven. When I see something on a cake that I'm working on that I don't like, I'll redo it, which means that it takes me a long time to produce a cake. My husband was pressuring me to stop altogether as the friends and family who asked me to make the cakes, never offered to pay for supplies so my cakes...
Rae: how high do you fill your 3" pans?
JanDunlevy: that was my reasoning as well. I liked that I could choose the depth as well. I have a ton of 3" pans too - ugh.
My cakes take forever to bake and are sometimes underbaked even though they test done. I only have 3" pans and I'm beginning to think that they might be the problem. I have an oven thermometer in my oven so I know that temperature is not the issue.Does anyone use 3" pans? I'm going to borrow a friend's 2" pans and test out a failed recipe to see if the result is different.
I guess the Ideas forum is gone so I'm not sure where to post this. I'm making a cake for my neighbor who is going to school in England for a semester.He's going to study Finance at Nottingham University. I was thinking of maybe doing something Robin Hood related but I'm open to any other interesting/funny ideas.Suggestions?