Posts by tsal

Hi,I did crumb coat with buttercream first, but only once I put the fondant on could I see all the imperfections (some of which may have been hidden by the label, had it fit). The bottle is lying down.I will try cutting and making small seams at the bottom of the bottle. The varnish did end up drying nicely - I must say that the finish is very glass-like!I will post pics of the final product once it's done on Friday. Sometimes I wonder how people here on CC produce such...
Friends asked me to make a birthday cake. I agreed. It's my first carved cake so I decided to do a test run. Thank goodness!It's a wine bottle cake. So far,the gum paste label doesn't fit, the fondant shows lines where the layers underneath meet, and I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get the fondant to fit perfectly over the bottom of the cake (the bottom of the bottle). I painted the whole thing with edible varnish, which doesn't seem to be drying. The...
Hi,I'm making a wine bottle cake and was just wondering how I can get that 'glass' look for the bottle. I'm going to paint it with black gel color & vodka. Is that the right way to achieve that finish?
Hi,I love the idea of hand painting details onto cakes - I feel it gives it a really personal touch. However, I'm running into a few challenges along the way.Firstly, I have been using Wilton gold pearl dust to paint on gold accents on fondants and gum paste I mix the dust with clear vanilla and paint. I notice that I get tiny lumps - what am I doing wrong? I also notice that I have to put on a few coats to achieve the desired richness. Is that normal? I see so many...
Thanks everyone!
Hi,I'm making a wine bottle cake for a friend's birthday. I would have posted a pic from my faves, but I'm not sure if that is frowned upon since it's not my cake! I pm'd a couple of people, but have not received a response.So, the design is a wine bottle on a wine box. I intend to carve the bottle out of cake and buttercream (not rkt). I'm making the bottle to scale. The wine box will be cake with filling. I'm wondering if I have to insert a dowel into the cake...
Hi,I'm going to try covering a board in fondant. How do I get it to stick to the board? Water? Thanks!
Thanks everyone. I noticed that the ziploc they gave me was the one that the package of edible image paper came in so I probably got the last sheet and maybe it was old.I'll try keeping it super sealed next time and see what happens.
Hi,I'm making a cake next Friday that will require a small edible image, and then another cake 2 weeks later that will require a few small edible images. I would be able to fit all of these images onto one sheet.The local grocery store will print a sheet for $15. Here is my question:Would I be able to print up the sheet and cut out the edible image that I need for next Friday and then put it back in the ziploc for another 2 weeks until I need the remaining images or am I...
Thanks for all your posts. I knew I was not alone!