Posts by tsal

After watching a Colette Peters course on Craftsy, I now want to try Massa Ticino. She swears by it but wow is it expensive! And I'm not sure that it's nut-safe (I know that there are no nuts in it, but it may be manufactured in a facility that produces but products). I'll have to do some research.
Thanks, Jennicake. Do you have the 7 qt?
Thanks for the replies!! I did not end up freezing them after all, but it's good to know for future reference!
This is what I have found since I have encountered my fair share of blotchy smbc:   I smooth it just after putting it on the cake - never after having been refrigerated.  I tried the hot spatula method and it resulted in horrible blotches so I thought that if I just scraped it with a room temp scraper, it should be fine - nope.  Blotchy streaky yuckiness.   What happens is that your cold butter comes into contact with something warmer (the room temp scraper) and...
I just baked some red velvet cupcakes for this evening. I'd like to give them the boost of moisture that freezing provides.  If I pop them in the freezer for 3 or 4 hours, will that be enough?
I'm beginning to really think that I may have not clicked the bowl in properly.  Grrr.  No fault but my own.  I think they should install a beeping system to warn newbies about the bowl not being clicked in properly - lol!  I never had to think about it with my old tilt head.   Are the bowl and whisk still ok to use given that they are a little scratched?  Is there a finish I should be concerned about?   I will ask DH to try to adjust the bowl lower and retry the...
Hi,   Dh bought me a 7 qt Kitchenaid stand mixer in December.  I checked the beater-to-bowl clearance and it seemed fine, however, I was whipping up egg whites the other night (that just would NOT whip up so my mixer was going for a LOOONG time) and I noticed after cleaning the bowl that I had distinct scratch marks from the whip at the bottom of the bowl (and they were not there before).  I whipped up egg whites just the other day without an issue, but my egg whites...
I think I know what happened.  My kitchen was really warm so when I took the cake out of the fridge and put my 'room-temp' scraper on it, it wasn't really room-temp, hence the melting.   I wrapped the entire cake in chocolate instead of scraping it all off and starting over.
I am making a surprise bday cake for a family member.  It is covered in chocolate SMBC.  I wanted to get it really smooth so I let it set up in the fridge and then scraped it with a room temperature bench scraper. The SMBC became all streaky and looks awful.   How can I mimimize the damage?  I guess I could whip up another batch of icing in the morning and put on another coat.  I wasn't planning on covering it with fondant and really don't want to.  The cake it due...
I always fill and frost directly out of the freezer with no issues.  I would not put fondant on a frozen cake though!  Maybe I'll take the torted cakes out of the freezer now so they'll be thawed (in the fridge) by the time I'm ready to assemble tonight.    Then I'll just be dealing with a very chilled cake but not a frozen one.