Posts by tsal

I agree that even 60 is a LOT, but I guess I feel guilty about backing out.    Dh just gave me sh*t for sending the email since he thinks it's dumb to back out at this point after I said I would do it.  :(   Ack.  Can't. Win. Either. Way.
Ok you guys inspired me to send the following email to the friend who is organizing (thank you so much, yortma, for the wording!).  You're right - at this rate, it will cost me well over $100 and I'm not prepared to spend that for someone that I'm not even friends with.  We'll see what she says:     Hi,   My goodness, Jen is popular!  I never imagined so many guests at a baby shower.    As a hobby baker, I'm not equipped to make a cake so large.  My...
I wish I would have posted this earlier!    I emailed the baby mama's friend and told her that I would stick to my original design but throw in some cupcakes to make up the extra servings.  Quite frankly, I am past caring - it's not like I'll go out of business if they dislike my cake - I'm a hobbyist!     It is being held at a church and it is a first baby.  Bah.   Had I asked for CC's advice before agreeing, I would have told them that I would be willing to...
Hi,   I am a hobbyist.  I offered to make a baby shower cake for free (since I'm a hobbyist and all my cakes are free) for someone I know whose wife helped me out once.  I designed the cake and told them to let me know how many guests they'd be expecting.   She emailed me yesterday to tell me that they are expecting 100 people and that my cake will be the only dessert (and I'm thinking that it's possibly the only food as well).  Oh and it's next Sunday.   I...
I am so touched by the comments people left - this is a testament to how truly wonderful the CC community is! My son, Logan, isn't very confident in his caking skills and this really gave him the boost to keep at it (and to want to try more things). Thank you!!
Hi,   My 8 yr old loves to read the comments that people post on my cakes.  He made some figurines (I just uploaded a pic to my profile) that he is proud of.   If you have a moment, please comment on them - he will be over-the-moon to see that some awesome cake artists actually liked his work.   :)
I do use pasteurized egg whites - I will try the lemon without the cream of tartar and see if it tastes better!   Thanks!
I find the taste of royal icing cloyingly sweet.  I used to make my RI with meringue powder and it tasted good, but now that I cannot get that meringue powder anymore (without ridiculous shipping costs), I'm stuck making it with fresh egg whites.  Here is the recipe i use:   Redpath royal icing:   1 kg bag of Redpath Icing Sugar 4 large egg whites 1 tsp (5 mL) cream of tartar   I added a tsp of lemon extract to it to give it a hint of flavor and it was...
Omg - I guess I really have missed the flavoring mark. I have pulled out my vanilla bean paste and am not afraid to use it!
BakingIrene: I love the raspberry lime combo idea!  I'm going to Google lime curd to find a recipe!