Posts by tsal

Hi,   A posted recently about a baby shower cake that I offered to make and about a week out, I was told to make 100 servings (which I vetoed after asking CC what you thought).   Here's another example of how hobby baking continues to make me frustrated with people:   A friend (not a close one by any means) asked me to make her sister's 40th birthday cake. I told her that I had a very busy weekend right before the cake would be due, but she said it was only...
Ah.  I'm not sure how to gauge the speed issue though.
Dh bought me a Kitchenaid 7QT in December.  It made very weird sounds and the whole machine started shaking while I was mixing cake batter, so back it went and they sent me another one without issue.   I used the new one for the first time to make a cake a few days ago.  It mixed the batter well - no issues.  I used it to whip up a batch of SMBC last night - that's when things got weird.  It was a triple batch but it took forever for the whites to whip up and the...
Thanks so much everyone for your kind words!!  My hat is off to those who do this for a living - it's not an easy road to follow!
Just got a text from the dad-to-be:   Ur cake was amazing!!!!  Thank you so much!!!     I'm just happy to put this whole experience behind me...
Thanks, Bakingangel!  I'll post back when I hear from them.
Thanks, K8!  You made me smile on a day that has been tough!
Hi everyone,   I just delivered the cake.  I think that the energy you have about you when you are preparing a cake affects the finished product.  I resented the circumstances of this cake and I think the universe sent my bad energy back to me and then some!    My SMBC turned out VERY weird last night.  It was separating and I'm not sure what the problem was - it may be that my new Kitchenaid 7 QT mixer didn't mix it well - it took forever to come together (a...
True!  I will give them specific directions.  Maybe I should do an 8" and a 5"?
Hi,   I've been looking at the Wilton chart and the  7" round servings section is blank.  I'm making a cake for around 20 people and I was thinking of making a 2-tier cake, bottom would be 7" and top would be 4".   That should be good for 20, right?