Posts by cabecakes

Well at first glance, i would say that the cake is first covered half way in the chocolate fondant and melted chocolate was poured down the sides. I think ganache would be more "thick" in appearance.Also, I would assume you could do both sides and then put on the finishing touches like fixing the seams and applying the "pleated fabric" at the venue. I think it would depend on the intricate details of the white side (which can't be seen well in the photo). It just looks...
I am from the US, and I definitely prefer electric over gas. I always use an oven thermometer to try and assure the temperature is correct, because I have found that even in new stoves the oven temperature can be off. I have a gas stove now, and I absolutely hate it. I think my cakes are drier then they were with the electric. I think the temperature is harder to regulate, and I think that the cakes don't bake as well. It, however, is an older gas stove, so this could...
I don't have a sponge cake recipe from a box, but I can share a recipe that was posted for public use on TLC of the Cake Bosss Sponge cake recipe. Here you goCake Boss Sponge Cake Ingredients4 lg  eggs at room temp2 c  white granulated sugar1 tsp  vanilla extract1 c  whole milk1/4 c  unsalted or lightly salted butterget recipes @ goboldwithbutter.com2 c  all purpose flour2 tsp  baking powder1/4 tsp  salt (use 3/8 tsp if using unsalted butter)Directions1 Beat eggs in...
At first glance, it looks like maybe your color wasn't mixed consistently, or it had begun to icing had begun to separate. What recipe did you use? You might want to check the How to decorate cookies recipe submitted by Antonia74 here for a good recipe to do cookies with. I tried it the other day, and I must say it was wonderful. You will end up with a thick icing for outlining, which you can also thin for flooding. I hope this helps. Here is the...
My finances won't allow me to make cakes for free. Ingredients aren't cheap. When someone asks me if I will make a cake for them that is family, the first thing I say to them is that they will have to buy the ingredients. I don't make cakes for my family's friends. I work full-time and I do this as a hobby. My schedule won't allow for doing freebie cakes for everyone and their brother. I enjoy doing this and I want to keep it that way. It won't if it puts a stress...
I found it kind of interesting that the bench scraper tool has rounded edges. Am I the only one that sees a problem with that.
I guess it would probably depend on whether they are serving other food as well. If there is going to be other food, you probably wouldn't need as many as if it were the only thing being served. Not everyone will probably eat cupcakes, so I would think for 600 people I would do at the very least 400 (about 2/3's) maybe at little less if other food is being served as well. Cupcakes are all the rave right now, so it is really hard to estimate. I'm just guessing here...
I had this happen once when I was working on a charity cake. I thought I would lose my mind. I still don't know why it happened. I worked on this cake until 2:30 in the morning and woke up for work at 4:30 and the whole side had slid right down the cake. I had to be at work at 6:00. I'm glad there was no video camera on me that morning. I had to have been a sight. But, relax now, the cake looks fantastic.
Not to highjack this post, but Relznik, would you mind sharing your recipe for your fruit cake. I would really like to try it. I've heard it can be really bad or it can be the best cake you've ever eaten...depending upon who makes it. I've never had it. If you don't mind, you could send me your recipe at cabescakes@gmail.com. Or if anyone else has a good recipe they wouldn't mind sharing. Usually, I would just check out the ingredients when choosing a recipe, but I...
I don't know if I would use it after all this time. There is still moisture in the bag, and I typically use the rule...where there is moisture...there can also be mold or bacteria. I wouldn't chance it. It's really not that expensive to make for the consequences it could cause. But for the next time...I freeze my marshmallow fondant all the time. I wrap it real well and when I want to use it, I just take it out of the freezer and let it thaw. After it thaws, I pop it...