Posts by solcito_the_cake_maker

Thanks K8!!! I may have to repeat the cake soon as another friend owns that same camera, and now that he saw my edible version, chances are that I will play with sugar lenses again! (But at least I won't have to do it away from home!)Big Hugs...
Hi all, just wanted to post a picture of the infamous Camera Cake. As it turns out, I wasn't able to get the sugar lens as planned! ... As I reported earlier, the ones that i made ahead melted. And the one that I tried to make on site, didn't work. I think I didn't bring the temperature high enough to my sugar mix, leave alone the fact that I got all my measurements wrong! So, I was able to melt and pour the sugar in my greased glass mold (same that I used for my...
LOL..... Sadsmile, THAT is my wedding song!!!!! LOL... but then again, that's another sad cake story... LOLI'm trying to laugh in silence here, while the rest of creatures in this household sleep! .... And you guys ain't helping!!!!!
Gosh! Thanks girlie! I think it's just this darn humidity that we have in GA these days! And of course, the lens have been sitting on my counter for days now so, that doesn't help either. This morning the edges were starting to disappear!!! It's like secret gnomes come at night and take little bites all around my sugar creation!!! LOLBut I'm not pulling my hair just yet. This is my first attempt on poured sugar and I guess it could be worse. I just didn't realize that the...
Well, I may have to go for round 3 on this.The lenses have been sitting on my counter for 2 days now, and the surface is now sticky!I don't mind doing another lens, but now I wonder: is there a way to prevent sticky fingers on the candy? Could I just stick them under some running water just to "polish" them? (The other option is to lick them! lick them! lick them! LOL... My dog has raised her paw as a volunteer and I loved chewing the left over drops of melted sugar on my...
Is this your Bridezilla sister, hoping to practice her cutting skills on another of your cakes?????? If so, PLEASE POST PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is priceless!! Perhaps they thought the cake was too precious to be destroyed and tried to "preserve it" by cutting all around?I once made a cake for a little friend: Elmo's head. Her mother successfully managed to get decent slices of cake for each of us, but for some strange reason, she avoided the eyes...The final result was these two eyeballs, sitting on the cake base, surrounded by crumbs and a girl screaming and crying because her favorite character had been...
Gotcha, JustBeck! Now everything makes sense!Anyways, I'm glad to report that my sweet experiment was a complete success... OK, maybe 1/3 of it went wrong but I fixed it on my second batch.On my 1st try, temperature went up to 350. I was so focused on my thermometer that didn't even notice that the liquid was starting to caramelize!!! Nothing saved me from losing that one, but I poured it anyways on my "super mold", just to give it a try.Then I had lots of fun cleaning...
Thanks everybody!@ Parable: Those gelatin decorations are amazing! But I'm concern about the texture I'll get and if it will be kinda soft. I really need to have something as solid as glass, in which case, I'll stick to the sugar (had no luck finding Isomalt @ the local store)@ K8: Loved your "sound effects" when using the blow torch!!! As exciting as it sounds, I'll pass on that one only because I don't have access to that toy (Christmas is coming, right???)Thanks for...
WOW! You guys are quick! I'm not familiar with Isomalt (but Google is my friend). Is it available at regular stores in the US such as WalMart and Michael's? I don't think I have enough time to order it online.In which case, I probably will go with Option B: POURED Sugar (thanks for clarifying the term Leah)...Do you have exact measures for that recipe?