Posts by Pria

Hi All ... I have a client who does not like buttercream. I have been reading a few posts which states that whipped ganache is a good alternative. I have never used it and I have a few questions : 1. Does the whipped ganache stay soft or does it firm up considerably ? 2. Does it cause blow outs or bulges in the cake because it has been whipped ? 3. If it does, how can I make ganache so that it is not runny but remains soft when iced on a cake and has fondant over...
Hi all...   I have a big problem.  I have a cake due tomorrow and last night I baked a cake and the bowl proved a bit too small.  I dont have other bowls the right size and I am struggling to figure out how to carve the dome on a normal 8 inch round cake.   What approach do I take ?  Carve the sides rounded and then pile on the scraps to make the peak ?   Please help !
Someone once told me that you take your cost and double.  Then effort if it was intensive work. 
Hi Spireite....     WOW ! thanks for your response.  I feel so lost.  Great idea about the levelling !   Is there a recipe that you have used and trusted and know works well.  There are tons of fruit cake recipes out there but I need one that will keep moist and good until it is cut.   Thanks a million for your response !
hi all...   I have a bride who has placed a last minute order for a wedding cake.   Her wedding is in 20 days.  She wants the top tier to be a fruit cake which she will keep till her first anniversary.  I am not an expert in fruit cakes.    I need some help here with the trusted recipes and also techniques.   I bake the fruit cake and I know I need to "feed" it with brandy to help keep it moist and also help preserve it.  How often do I feed it ?   For...
Hi Shirley...   Thanks for your response.  Last night was a challenge but I got through it with the grace of God !   I narrowed it down to 6.5 inches but it started to become one big round bit at the bottom instead of that lovely defined hourglass shape.      
Hi All smart people, I need some construction advice....     I have to make an hourglass shaped cake (something that looks like a woman's waist)  big at the top, small in the middle and big at the bottom.   I know how to do the carving down, but what I need to find out is, how do I make the waist noticable without it collapsing on the top bit which is being pulled down by gravity ?   I have 8 inch cakes and I was thinking of making the middle 7inches cos I...
You guys are right, but in business, we know not everything is as cut and dry as telling the customer this is what you can get.  I wish it were though :(   I did dowel but this was after I saw the breaking (not the smartest move).  I have a hat cake coming up next week and I am praying that things dont go pear shaped with that one !   Dani, I always have this fear that if I carve when the cake is frozen, that when it comes back to room temp and the fondant etc is...
Hi All you smart people...   I need some advice on a cake structure.   I made a teapot cake this weekend.  My customers are very particular and request very moist cakes.  This obviously problematic for some types of cakes.   I made 4 8inch cakes buttercreamed and stacked.  I placed a 6inch round board and began to carve the top.  When I fliped the cake to carve the bottom in the same fashion, I noticed that the cake started to crack and fall apart.    How...
Hi All...   I need some advice.  I have a client who is collecting the cupcakes for their wedding 2 days in advance as the wedding venue is far away.  She has ordered IMBC for the cupcake.   Will the buttercream hold up and still be good on the day of the wedding ?  Will the icing de-stablize after being out for more than 2 days at room temperature ?