Posts by cakesrock

White chocolate worked- thanks for the great suggestion!!!!
Hmmm.. if I was travelling, I'd put the figure on upon arrival, but in this case, you can't do that. I would build the figure onto lollipop sticks so you can anchor him to the cake that way (one coming out of the ankle and one out of the wrist) if that makes sense and I'm envisioning this right.(?) I have used lollipop sticks a lot for these types of things and they work really well. I'm sure you can incorporate them somehow. Even if it's partially stuck through the middle...
Try some of the recipes on this site- Mermaid bakery vanilla cake is great!
Put it in the freezer! Fondant decorations keep well in the freezer. Just ensure you let it thaw slowly on the counter and put a fan on it to keep it dry.   OR if you need it right away - put a fan on it to keep it cool and dry   good luck!
meant if youre dowels are NOT exactly even...
I don't think the crumb coat would make a difference in terms of sturdiness - it really only ensures the fondant has something to adhere to and you don't see cake crumbs/ lumps through the fondant.   The most important thing in stacking is the sturdiness of the cake itself and the support. What cake did you use? Some are much sturdier than others (like WASC). Also, If your dowels are EXACTLY even your cake will be lopsided. I have had this happen. Are you using a...
Thanks! Yes, it broke again AFTER I took this photo....I do plan to transport it separately. My 'glues' just don't seem to want to work!   Never thought of white chocolate! Will try...   Sadly, it won't make it home to Scotland with my friend...it was supposed to be a keepsake.   Appreciate the suggestions!
This cake is for a party TOMORROW and the stupid crown keeps breaking in the same spot (on the left side)! It is made of gumtex/tylose and fondant. I made it way in advance and have glued it several times (tried fondant glue, water, gumtex and water) and let it dry a week this last time . Now I have to travel with it . What to do? Should I try RI? HELP PLEASE!
What are "the nibs"? Now, I took it off as soon as it started to color, colored the gems dark (although I wanted them clear diamonds- I guess rubies will have to do) and the gems hardened just fine.... So not sure what the issue is...
I've worked with isomalt several times and have never had it turn amber (like overcooked sugar),especially at 260 degrees. It is about 2 yrs old (not opened and in another ziplock) and I live in a very dry area. Maybe it's my candy thermometer(?), though it's not that old (3yrs maybe) and good quality. I don't use it that often - 2-3 times a yr. Any idea why this happened? TIA