Posts by frankdiabetes

I've agreed to make a wedding cake for my sister-in-law, and she has fallen in love with this Ron Ben Israel French silk cake (see attached).It was featured in the Spring 2010 issue (no. 52) of Martha Stewart Weddings, and the article supposedly tells you where to get the stamp in the "go-to guide" included with the magazine. I cannot lay hands on this magazine for the life of me- not at the library, not online, not through Martha Stewart's publishing company.Does anyone...
Rae, that's [i]exactly[/] the look I was going for- that's amazing!!I will definitely try to get a hold of those cutters, where are they available? Thanks so much.And thanks, Ashleyssweetdesigns, I think you're right- the extra touch is added with royal icing outlines. I think I definitely have a better idea of what to do now.Thanks everyone!
Hello everyoneI've been asked to do my cousin's wedding cake and she really liked the look of this cake:http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/231247/fabric-inspired-wedding-cakes/@center/272453/wedding-cakesI don't necessarily need to recreate a specific fabric, just that sort of general look. Would you use gumpaste or fondant or sugarveil for the appliques? Additionally, this is going to be for an outdoor wedding in early July so I'm thinking chocolate molds, etc. are...
It looks like those were made with a Kopykake- I know my writing/piping improves exponentially when I use mine.
Carleen: I chose the cookie cutter size based on what the bride wanted, and then printed the font to fit on a sheet of paper (lay the cookie cutter over the sheet to make sure all the letters fit well within the cookie border). The cookie was about 3" across, and maybe 2 3/4" tall.To cut the stencil, I taped the printed sheet to a self-healing cutting mat, and then taped the stencil plastic over that- you can still see the printout through the stencil. I cut it using an...
Fondarific.
I know King Arthur flour has a slightly higher protein content than other brands of all-purpose flour (maybe 11-12% versus 10% or so for Gold Medal/Pillsbury), so that would be an additional factor to consider in scratch baking. That being said, I love King Arthur and ALL of its products, and they are a company with phenomenal customer service as well.
I would say the RI consistency was similar to toothpaste. Obviously you don't want it too thin, otherwise it'll run all over and not keep the stencil shape, but you also don't want it too thick, because it will stand up in funny little peaks and not look as nice. I laid the stencil down and smoothed it across with a small offset spatula. It took a few "test cookies" to refine my technique but I'm SO glad I decided to do stencils. They're really handy when it comes to...
I know food photographers use drops of white corn syrup as water drops sometimes. Perhaps that would work. I also agree that isomalt would work, but corn syrup could be a no-cook option.
I did a fire helmet cake that can be seen in my photos. I also used ddpies blog post for instruction, and it really helped to have an actual fire helmet to work from, too. I'd be happy to answer any questions about how I did stuff if you need help, just send me a pm. Good luck!