Posts by kimbm04r

I loved the preview feature they used to have.  I am really disappointed that they took that away, I like to have an idea of what I am getting before I order it.
I used water to attach the fondant decorations on the cake I posted yesterday with the tractor and hay stack.  
I used a modified box mix for my topsy cake.  For each box of cake mix (Betty Crocker) I used 4 egg whites (or whole eggs for cakes other than white), 1/3 cup oil, 1/2 cup water and 1 cup sour cream.  I used to add one box of instant pudding but found that made the cake really moist and had trouble getting the cake to bake completely.  I also bake with the baking stripes around the pans.   For stability, I doweled two tiers together and then assembled and decorated...
I highly recommend Sharon's videos.  I used another of her DVDs when I made the flowers for the cake in my profile picture.
Actually it is an illusion.  Each tier is carved with a pocket on the top that the cake above sets in to make it level.  I could not have made this cake without the help of her video.
Thank you both for your comments.   The tip I used for the hay was a leaf tip #352.   I packed the rice krispie treats firmly into a 4 1/2" x 2"  square cake pan filled to the top and trimmed even with the pan and allowed it to dry then cut it into the pieces I needed.  I used the extra for the tires.  I covered the pieces with the ganache applying it like icing and smoothed it with a hot icing knife.  I then covered it with the fondant which can be a little...
I haven't used the Topsy Turvy pans but I have made a couple topsy turvy cakes.  I would recommend getting the dvd from Sharon Zambito (SugarEdProductions).  It is a great DVD and explains the process very well using regular round cake pans.   This is the last one I made using her DVD.  
I delivered this tonight to my daughter's boss.  Her son's first birthday is tomorrow.  She sent me a photo of a cake she liked and this is what I came up with for her.   The tractor is made of RKT covered with ganache then fondant.  The top tier is white cake and iced with buttercream to look like a bale of straw.  The bottom tier is chocolate cake and iced with buttercream and decorated with fondant.  The family has a pig farm hence the pigs.  I also made a jumbo...
A few weeks ago my sister and a couple of her friends went to NYC and stopped at Buddy's store on the way home.  She brought me back a cup cake because she thought I would like one since he was a famous baker on TV.  After eating that cupcake I have to say that I will never make a special effort to go to his store if I ever get in the area.  It was not moist at all and the icing was not good either.  And just for those wondering, she bought it the day before I ate it so...
Check your PM, on the way as I type.